Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

čenda hovorka

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Vzor 38, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Vzor 38

Vzor 38 Member

My grandfather, čenda hovorka(pronounced chenda) served in the Wehrmacht during WWII. All I know is that he served at one point on the Eastern front against the Russians and that he was wounded. I also think he might have been drafted but I am not sure. He passed away about 2 years ago and I never really met him, only when I was about 3 years old. I am trying to learn about my family with the limited amount of resources I have, so if anyone thinks they have any information about him or the name even sounds farmiliar please post.

Rommel25 likes this.
  2. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Hi Vzor. Dificult to say. I'd think you could find some details at the deutsche Dienstelle W.a.s.t in Berlin. But you'd probably find somerecords at the Czech military records files too. What happened to your grandfather after the war? Did he go to Germany, or did he stay in the Czech Republic. was he captures by the Soviets or did he have problems with them for having served in the Wehrmacht?

Rommel25 likes this.
  3. Vzor 38

Vzor 38 Member

After the war my grandfather stayed in Czechoslovakia and later the Czech Republic so I think that the next time I go to Europe I will definitely check in Prague and Berlin.
    I asked my mother about him and she told me the only story she knew of him in the war. Long story short, he was captured by the Red Army and while on a truck he and two other prisoners escaped. But the whole story was not that clear as she only heard the story once and about 15 years ago too.
    Thank you Skipper for the help.

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

That explains a few things. Your father was very lucky to have escaped. This has avoided him a lot of trouble in the Russian pow camps and even harrassment upon his return from captivity. His Czech language skills must have saved him , so he settled in the Czech republic and never spoke German in public. This was the price to pay if he wanted to stay with his family.