Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

“Mein Opa” – Tracing the footsteps of a german soldier during the Battle of the Bulge 1944/45 by Rob

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by PzJgr, Nov 2, 2012.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

An article I read

Thorsten Herbes, a german compatriot living in the USA. He has written a story about his grandfathers experiences in WW2 and not only did he do a wonderful job with the research, its also obvious how much he misses his grandfather (german: Opa). Thorstens Grandfather served with Infanterie-Regiment 545 in Stalingrad and was one of the few who got out, being evacuated via Gumrak inside a Heinkel He-111.

Read More:
    http://www.warhistoryonline.com/mem...battle-of-the-bulge-194445-robin-schafer.html

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

A great blog, Ike. We often forget the German vets who served. If you've not already read it, I would recommend Eastern Inerno, which is a diary of a German soldier on the Eastern Front. Sadly, he was one who didn't reteurn.

3. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

I've seen that book and thought about purchasing it. Guess I will have to do so now. Thanks for the recommendation

4. 980th

980th Member

what a treasure for future family members. thank you so much for sharing your grandfathers story.