Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1.72 scale blog

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by qwasiman, Aug 23, 2007.

1. qwasiman

qwasiman New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Ok, ladies and gentlemen, the time has come for me to begin to collect 1.72 scale models again, and to celebrate this, i will make blog and tell everything i will buy and so on and how i painted them etc. Ive diceded to choose Russian this time and the period will be early 1944-1945 late, *will use those to play against my brothers friend who has an SS armor division.

I will use italerie becouse they most of the time give 2 models for the price of 1.

shopping list.

2x is-2

1x Russian infantry

2x isu-152

2x isu-122

3x T-34/85

i might have forgot some things so i will put it here later.

Dont expect a perfect paint job, was a long time since i painted those [been using 12 mm scale models and painting them]

Pictures will take a while, need to fix a new camera.

+ i need to buy some new paints.

i will come back with more info soon :)

2. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    Hey, sounds like a good project - I can't wait to see the results.

Italeri do make some good kits - i have made 2 of their T-34/76 kits and loved them.

3. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    We demand pics.Definately fix the camera. :smok:

4. qwasiman

qwasiman New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ok, i have now fixed 2 Is-2, and the infantry and i think i will fix the the isu-122 on Saturday. ill start to put together what i have tomorrow, school has begun, so it will take a little longer. I had to look at a hell of allot model shops before i found those, because for some strange reason they was always out of stock, but then i finally found it on a little hobby shop called flandis. More info will be up soon.

5. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Very interesting. How much infantry are you going to use?

6. qwasiman

qwasiman New Member

via TanksinWW2
    about 30+, its like 25 normal infantry and some with heavy weapons.

Obs, The blog has been changed. now its going to be 1940-1943 =P

Kv-1, T-34/76 and alot of infantry =) sorry for this

(reason, the models i needed wouldent come in for about an other 8 weeks..... so i called my bropthers friend and changed the army and year =)

7. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    A Soviet infantry unit would be almost twice the size of the SS Panzergrenadier infantry unit. The Soviets also liked a lot of artillery and this could be represented as heavy mortars and light field howitzers.

Even though the Soviet units were larger, they were not well trained nor as well equipt as the Germans so the two units were almost equal on the battlefield.

8. qwasiman

qwasiman New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ok, i have painted the first kv-1, and are gluing my second togheter + 2 t-34/76

9. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Interesting post. I never knew about the unit sizes being so different. This data does pose a problem when modelling though, since mortars (and light field houwitzers) are hard if not impossible to get on 1/72. Or has any of you experienced otherwise?

10. Ricky

Ricky Well-Known Member

via TanksinWW2
    You can geberally get mortars in packs of 1/72 infantry. However you only get a couple per pack, and they are in crappy soft plastic that you can't file or glue, and doesn't hold paint well.

11. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    sounds like a fair option to me..! :lol: ;) but, it's nice to hear that there's at least something available.
    I have seen american mortars in a Revell infantry set once, (you'd have to ask Roel) but never any others though. But that's probably what you meant.

12. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I prefer to make my own mortars from tubing, sprue and wire. Most small model mortars leave a lot to be desired.

Here's a link to some pics of the 15mm scale WW2 stuff we game with;
    http://www.bigjoeduke.com
    Go to the picture section and then go to Flames of War

13. qwasiman

qwasiman New Member

via TanksinWW2
    ok, im mostly done with my 2 T-34/76 but one of them has does enoyng tracks you need to glue all the way... i hate those, i reather use those whole tracks, Curse you italerie

14. TISO

TISO New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Trumpeter now produces excellent series of 1/72 KV-1 series. I just bought KV-1 s ekranami ( additional bolt on armour) and is a really good kit of standard KV-1 with additional sprue with additional armour parts. It has good detail and soft rubber tracks (BLJACK) and is relatively easy to build. It also has atractive decals for a single tank of 109. division, 43. army, Reserve front in september 1941 with inscription: "Hit the fachist toad" on the both sides of the turret ( not on the pic below). Hannants has them for 7 GBP a piece:

[​IMG]

I'm in dillema regarding this one. Do i build it with kit decals (name of the tank: Hit the fachist toad) or white 864 (i'll have to improvise with the numbers) of starshy lejtnant Z. Kolobanov ( 1. red banner tank division) who on 19.august of 1941 destroyed 22 german tanks in an ambush near Krasnogvardeysk ( Gatchina). I'll probably do my usual stunt at the end and buy a second kit :cool: