Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1/72 Scale Wargaming

Discussion in 'World War 2 Hobbies' started by Boba Nette, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Boba Nette

Boba Nette New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Is anybody into this or know anything about it?I got an ad in the mail for a game called 'Operation Overlord' by Italeri.Sounds interesting.

2. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I´ve seen it advertised myself, and it does sound interesting.

Wargaming with 1/72 scale figures and models would be really cool. Does anyone know if there are rulebooks or similar for this sort of wargaming in sirculation allready ?

3. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    1/72nd wargaming.

Depends on exactly what you're after really, but there are quite a few rules sets out there, ranging from extremely fast play, which may sacrifice some of the historical accuracy that experts might like, to quite detailed, but which take ages to play.

I haven't played the Italeri ones so I don't know what category they fall into.

If all else fails, grab some dice, open up a Word .doc and write your own, lots of people do and these can be some of the best!

4. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    eah I believe some forum members have done something similar not too long ago... I don't how it ended up though. You should ask Roel, he joined the game.
    Nevertheless, that's no 1/72 wargaming any more... :-? 8)
    By the way: what should I think of when discussing "1/72 scale wargaming"? I can't really imagine what it should be like... :(

5. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Panzer, the game I joined is a turn-based computer strategy game, not 1:72 wargame. This is totally different. I wouldn't know what this is supposed to look like anyway. :D

6. Simonr1978

Simonr1978 New Member

via TanksinWW2
    1/72nd Wargaming.

At lot depends on what you like, but for me a 1/72nd wargame should be fairly easy and not too much detail at infantry level (You don't need to know that a weapon is an Kar98K for example, Rifle is enough), and infantry action should be as a Squad of up to around 10 men rather than individual or Platoon.

The Game mechanics should be complex enough to allow fairly specific damage to AFVs (ie light damage, medium, severe, destroyed and effects), without being overly complex or too simple.

With a fairly balanced set of rules, enough space and enough time you can easily use twenty or thirty tanks or AFVs per side and supporting infantry (Even the occasional airstrike!). If the rules are too simple you'll need too much space to get any kind of enjoyable game, too complicated and an engagement like above will take days or weeks to playout.

Like I said though, a lot depends on what you want, you may prefer more accuracy or detail and smaller numbers, or huge mass engagements and simpler rules, but for 1/72nd the above is what I find works best.

Regards

Simon.

7. Greg Pitts

Greg Pitts New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Skua,

Check this out:

http://www.greathallminis.com/

There are all sorts of miniatures and rules books for WW2, as well as for most other major wars.

England is a real hotspot. Get a copy of Wargames Illustrated or a similar hobby magazine at your local hobby store.

:smok:

8. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Zvezda has a range of 1/72 scale wargame sets ( Age of Battles ), rulebooks seems to be sold separately. Has anybody tried one of these ?

[​IMG]

9. Roel

Roel New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I've used parts of the fortifications they produce for my own games with 1:72 scale Knnnniggets of the Hundred Years War. They're quite simple, cheap and nice actually. I've never tried any of their soldiers though.

On the other hand, the Zvezda/Italeri Pe-2 I built was very good. Maybe I'll try more of the brand.

10. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Gaming in 1/72 scale is easy. You simply use 1/72 scale troops and vehicles and a rule set that you like. I'm putting togther a WW2 rule set at the moment. It will be usable with 1/72 scale and 28mm.

The one thing about the gaming with models is that you can waste a lot of time on details and technical correctness. It doesn't make any difference on a table top battlefield. Nobody cares if the Sherman has the wrong wheels. Small parts like light fixtures and aerials are prone to getting broken as well.

11. PanzerProfile

PanzerProfile New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Do you mean you actually have to damage the models with this type of wargaming? Sounds weird...

12. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I think he means that the arials etc. are easily broken off when gaming with the models.

Welcome to the forum JCalhoun ! :)

I would be very interested in having a look at the ruleset you are working on. I have no idea on how these thing are done. I used to play a lot of Axis´n Allies, but I´ve allways wanted to try something with a bit more detail to it. Not too much detail though.

13. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Thanks for the welcome. :D

We have never found a rule set that we completely liked. I decided to take the best parts of some and add some of our own ideas. The hardest part is coming up with stats for all of the vehicles.

Once we get the playtesting done, I will start trying to make it available to the public.

14. Skua

Skua New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I´m looking forward to that. :)

15. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    If things stay on track, we could have something ready by the end of the year.

16. Zable Fahr

Zable Fahr New Member

This red charnel pit of primal horror, howling bla
    via TanksinWW2
  17. JCalhoun

JCalhoun New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Those are about the best rules I've used so far. Unfortunately, I don't like 40K rules all that much. They done a good job though.

18. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    I was interested in this concept, but due to a very irritating store owner I was turned off.

Looks good though.

19. Mutant Poodle

Mutant Poodle New Member

via TanksinWW2
    Not me, but I have seen them in Vancouver.

20. Oli

Oli New Member

via TanksinWW2
    try looking at http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/Rule ... _war_2.htm
    They also do other periods in history.
    I suggest you grab three or four (or all..) different sets, try them out and by that time you'll be going "but it doesn't f***ing work like that" at different points with EVERY single set you've got.
    So you'll start to write your own. And then you'll find something you missed. And then you'll find an exception that crops up every 4th game. And then, and then, and then
    you go mad, bald and socially withdrawn. Welcome to the wonderful world of wargaming!!!
    Oli
    Wargamer for nearly forty years, and still haven't written a set of rules complete enough for publication
    http://www.cybamall.com/oli/home.html