Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1067th Engineer Construction Group Dec 1943- Mar 1946

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by Michael Pratt, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

The Engineer Construction Group was organized Dec 1943 and activated 10Sept1944 at Ft Claiborne, LA. Major Clifton Pratt was acting Commander. Col Roy McCutchen relieve Major Pratt on the 12th. Major Pratt became the Exe. Training till the 1st of the year the 1067th was shipped from Boston to Europe 6Feb1944. Arriving Le Havre, France 20Feb1945.
    They saw action in France 20Feb1945-05Mar1945. Belgium 06Mar1945-19Mar1945.Germany20Mar1945-27May1945.(30Apr1945 Hitler Committed Suicide VE Day 8May1945. (Have Picture of Col McCutchen and now LT Col Pratt dated 18May1945 Bonn, Germany.) France 30May1945-09July1945. Shipping out of Antwerp, Belgium 10July1945 for Luzon, Philippines 18Aug1945.(06Aug1945 & 09Aug1945 Atomic Bombs.) 15Aug1945 Japan surrendered.16Oct1945 Shipped out to Kure Honshu Japan. Began reconstruction of port of Kure. Disbanded in early 1946. 1067th was small group 14 officers and 80 Enlisted men.
    I'm looking for any more history plus what the 1067th did while in Europe.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  2. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

3. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..unsung heroes.....reconstructed Kure....I would be interested in reading about how they did that.....that's very complex work

4. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

If you go to search on your computer and type in 1067th engineer construction group it will give you the sites I have put in so far. one will be: 1067th engineer construction group.pdf - wikimedia you can either read all the way through or go to page 61 for a days report of the 1067th. Some facts that I have been able to find out about Kure. It was the last port that the us forces bombed. the word was that the reason they hit it so hard was for retaliation for pearl harbor. kure was also only 15 miles from hiroshima. the though just occurred to me that it might have been bombed because hiroshima was a target. and they put out the story to hide the fact. thank you for your interest michael pratt

5. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

....it's hard/complex enough to do that work during peacetime.....it interest me because it's not a ''popular''' subject and I like how things work/fixed/etc

6. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

This was actually after the war. A small part of the reconstruction program, another not "popular" subject. That has been the hard part of my history of my father. There were literally thousands of the small engineering groups during the war. And the records kept were not popular so it has been years for the archives to uncover what their is. Also I believe that a lot was classified material and has not been released yet. All my research and I have not been able to uncover where my father was during his time in Europe, but not what he did.

bronk7 likes this.
  7. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

..logistics were critical in many of the battles .....and the engineers helped move them along .....one of my favorite books is The Damned Engineers ----who helped to stop Peiper ......they were in the ''rear'' and found themselves on the frontline ...a very good book IMO

8. Bob McCutchen

Bob McCutchen New Member

Michael, I have been searching for information on my Grandfather Col Roy McCutchen's WWII service for a few years, but little is known of the 1067th. I just saw your forum on the 1067th and was happy to find someone who has some history, so I can unpack what my grandfather did in WWII. I am familiar with Camp Claiborne and know they shipped out in 1944, but I have few details from that date to when my grandfather was killed in a vehicle accident during the occupation of Japan on 8 Oct 1946. My dad passed away in 2015, a career AF officer and pilot and with him went a storeroom of knowledge, which I can never tap into. Look forward to hearing from you.

9. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

10. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

My Goodness. Never thought I would hear from any one from the 1067th, and here I am talking to the Commanding Officers grandson. More history. If you type 1067th Engineer Construction Group into your search. You should see a few sites for the 1067th. Click on the one that says Wikimedia. It will take you to a site that has most every thing I have on the 1067th, If you want to find out more Military career you can visit the National Archives site in St Louis, MO. They have all the personnel files. They will tell you how you can send for them. Ask for his medical files also. These might be slim as the had a fire and most were burnt. If you want what unit records are on file you have to visit the National Files in College Park, MD. But I fear they are still closed due to the COVID. I did actually go there and found it most interesting.
    Would like to keep in touch. I looked you up in Facebook, however I found three of you. So maybe you can find me.. I'm also all ways up for a road trip. If you don't live to far away. I think my dad & you grandfather would get a kick out of two of their descendants sitting around the table about them. I have a picture of your Grandfather also.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
    TD-Tommy776 and Slipdigit like this.
  11. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Michael,

Welcome and it is good to see you two make a connection. I hope that you can find and exchange new information on this formation, and if you feel so inclined, post here for others to stumble upon when looking to see what granddad did in the war.

I would highly recommend removing your email address from the post as soon as you two make a connection as it can be harvested by ne'er-do-wells who will then fill up your email inbox. Or perhaps, removing it now and talk using the messenger to swap emails. Click on the user name and you will find it there under "Start a Conversation."

Michael Pratt and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  12. Bob McCutchen

Bob McCutchen New Member

Hello Michael,
    I just responded to your email, feel free to remove it from the post. I was reluctant to put any of my personal info on the site due to the concern Jeff expressed. I have little information on the ETO or the PTO for the 1067th, I have a pictorial and history book of the 373rd Engineer Regiment which references my grandfather but uses the 1057th, not sure if that was a typo. In my grandfather's personal archives there are some records from Camp Claiborne, which I will need to dig out.
    Yesterday I did pull down the 64 page .pdf you mentioned, thank you.
    Great getting connected.
    Bob McCutchen

Michael Pratt likes this.
  13. Michael Pratt

Michael Pratt New Member

Thank you Jeff. Read and done