Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1106th Engineer Combat Group launches the "V13" secret weapon into Aachen

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by KodiakBeer, Nov 28, 2012.

1. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

The battle for Aachen was intense. The 1106th Engineers were given a section of the line to hold as infantry were pulled away to deal with a counter-attack by the 1st SS Panzer Corps. Being engineers, they felt the need to "blow shi, er stuff, up" instead of acting as mere riflemen. They launched three trolley cars loaded with captured German 75 and 88mm shells down a steep hill into the heart of the city. It is not known if the trolley cars did any real damage, but a good time was had by all involved.

Attached Files:

• V13.jpg
      V13.jpg
      File size:
      37.9 KB
      Views:
  2. George Patton

George Patton Canadian Refugee

I hope they put a timer in there...if not, and the trolley didn't explode, they gave the Germans some much-needed ammo!

On another note, does anyone else find it odd that the tracks crossing through the front lines were (presumably) still intact?

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

These were the city trolley tracks, not railroad tracks. The cars were of course fused to explode some time after "launch." The engineers were actually holding a line along the southern edge of the city. Aachen (when this occurred) was completely surrounded, but the 1st SS Panzer Corps (with assorted polyglot attachments) launched a spoiling attack from the east trying to link up with the elements in the city. Much of the infantry and armor was called away to deal with that, while second line units like these combat engineers maintained the siege.

George Patton likes this.
  4. Natman

Natman Member

Those guys look like they're laughing and it does sound like fun. Way better than me puttin' firecrackers on my models when I was a kid!!

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

You did that too? After all these decades, I find out it wasn't such an original idea after all. :(

6. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Shoot, I did that in the '50s. Left many a puddle of plastic in the driveway behind our two-story rowhouse. Mostly we did it with planes.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Kids like you grow up to be combat engineers...

8. TD-Tommy776

Or was a son of a combat engineer. ;)

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Nope. I am the son of a Coast Artllieryman turned Infantryman. I just enjoyed blowing up planes (that I spent hours on).

10. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I think we all did, though I suppose modern parents now think it's somehow wrong to allow their children to play unsupervised with explosive devices...:(

I recall cutting the white tips off of those big kitchen matches to use as "powder" in home made cannons. We had those little cast iron civil war cannons and you could pack the barrel with match tips and using a piece of gravel wrapped in tinfoil as a ball you could hold a match under the rear of the cannon until it fired and knocked down your little green army men.

Heck, I still play with cannons! For some reason, the forum doesn't allow me to embed a video today, but here's a link to me shooting a Kodiak bear with a cannon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NimgHIhX_Fc&list=UUa8Ddxj_xCNEUuv89huzj9Q&index=1&feature=plcp

11. TD-Tommy776

Meanwhile, back at the topic... :D