Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1120th Combat Engineer Group

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by JWalt, Jul 15, 2002.

1. JWalt

JWalt recruit

Howdy fellows. I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to information about the 1120th Combat Engineer Group.

Thanks in advance

2. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Hallo, JWalt!

Wilkommen to the forum, first of all! We would love to have you here oftenly.

Unfortunately, USA's armed forces are in no-way my strong point... I guess you will have to wait for our experts in the matter.

3. Steve

Steve Member

Hi JWalt: Welcome to the best WWII forum on the net. 1120th Engineer Combat Group: 15 Apr 43 redesignated from HHC, 348th Engineer General Service Regiment at Cp Young Calif Desert Training Center; staged at New York P/E 16 Nov 43; arrived in England 9 Dec 43; landed in France 9 June 44; crossed into Belgium 6 Sept 44; first crossed into Germany 4 Oct 44; reentered Belgium 23 Dec 44 and recrossed into Germany 5 Feb 45 where inactivated 20 Jan 47.

Campaigns: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, Central Europe

Aug 45 Loc: Eisleben Germany

This info was taken from Shelby Stantons WWII Order of Battle.

I will provide more info as I dig it up. I hope this is helpful Jwalt.

4. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Did you see what I meant? :D

5. KevinJarvis

KevinJarvis recruit

I too would like some information about this Group.
    My father who just died in March was in the 1120th in Europe at the end of the war.
    He never talked about his military experience but I am finding out bits here and there.
    Thanks for anything you can provide.
    KJ

6. PaulD1949

PaulD1949 New Member

I also and researching more info on the 1120th Eng. My Dad was part of it. Here is a photo he had of his unit while still in the States.
    [​IMG]

7. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

I'm afraid the 1120th Engineer Combat Group was a different organization unrelated to the 1190th Engineer Base Depot Group. The 1190th Engineer Base Depot Group was assigned to MTOUSA as part of the Delta Base Section, which was responsible for supply operations in Southern France supporting the 6th Army Group. The 1120th Engineer Combat Group was assigned to ETOUSA as part of the 12th Army Group and was part of the VII Corps of First U.S. Army.

8. PaulD1949

PaulD1949 New Member

Thank you ! information I didnt have at all ! Dad had passed back Dec 2014 , We had sat and he recounted what he did but I still was looking for more, He did talk about being in France and we have the photos of him there and then back in England before being shipped back home. Ive tried to find more info about the 1190th with basically no luck, would anyone here have possible ideas or sources ?