Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

12th February 1942.

Discussion in 'Atlantic Naval Conflict' started by Friedrich, Jul 4, 2002.

1. harolds

harolds Member

Another note on this operation: Excellent inter-service cooperation between Kriegsmarine and Luftwaffe. Lots of credit for this goes to the new "General" of Fighters, Adolph Galland.

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'm very pleased that this thread has re-emerged, because here is that Swordfish - a photo I took at last months' Duxford air display....

[​IMG]

3. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

thans for making us dream with all those beauties Martin, not too mention you take good pictures too

4. Martin Bull

Just for that, I'll add another one !

[​IMG]

5. scipio

scipio Member

Correct Harolds - Raeder himself claimed this was a tactical victory but a strategic defeat.

Still would have been better to sink them.

6. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

amazing quality , keep them coming!

7. Martin Bull

OK - last one, I promise, otherwise I'm hijacking this thread too much.......

[​IMG]

The Swordfish has been missing from the UK airshow scene for a couple of years due to maintenance. The RNHF are very careful about the conditions in which it can fly, so it is often 'winded off'. To me, it's a wonderful living tribute to the wartime Swordfish crews and their exploits.

8. FalkeEins

FalkeEins Member

" Operation Fuller " condemned the men manning the Swordfish torpedo bombers to almost certain death - all six of the attacking Swordfish were shot down, having to the misfortune to reach the convoy and launch their attack in the precise sector where JG 26 and JG 2's fighter coverage coincided. Banks of cloud and fog could offer little protection when setting up for a straight run-in against the ships. Out of the ensuing hail of withering fire and the confusion of battle that blasted all six Swordfish out of the air, II./ JG 2 eventually claimed and was credited with no fewer than 8 Swordfish, while III./ JG 26 claimed three and the ships' anti-aircraft batteries were credited with a further four!

here's one of mine and another view of the memorial on the sea front at Dover instituted by the Channel Dash Memorial Trust

[​IMG]

[​IMG]