Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1301st Engr GS Regt

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Proudtr, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Proudtr

Proudtr New Member

I recently found my dad's army discharge papers and finally found out his regiment (listed above). I'm trying to learn anything I can about it. My dad, Joseph Sheehan, was a medic with the Corps of Engineers in the 1301st. He landed at Utah beach on D Day and proceeded to serve in the Ardennes, the Rhineland and central Europe. I would appreciate learning anything about his unit. Thank you.

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Activated in the Army of the United States 23 June 1943 at Camp Ellis, Illinois; departed the US 24 March 1944; arrived in the UK 5 April 1944; landed in France 5 August 1944; arrived in the Philippines 24 August 1945; returned to the Z/I 25 January 1946 and inactivated the next day at Camp Anza, California. The Engineer G/S Regt was organized under T/O&E 5-21, dated 1 April 1942, consisted of 51 O, 3 WO, and 1,212 EM organized in a HQ & HQ Co, Sv Co, and 2 battalions, each of 3 companies. It performed work requiring a high percentage of skilled labor, such as constructing bridges, highways, railroad, cantonments, hospitals, and the like.

It is unlikely he landed on UTAH Beach on D-Day, but the regiment did land on UTAH when it landed in France.

TD-Tommy776 and Proudtr like this.
  3. Proudtr

Proudtr New Member

Thank you. This adds a lot to the little information I had. It means a great deal.

4. Proudtr

Proudtr New Member

Could you tell me the meanings of Z/I. T/O&E 5-21, WO, O, and EM?

5. Larry Lunday

Larry Lunday New Member

6. Larry Lunday

Larry Lunday New Member

7. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I missed this somehow last year.

Z/I = Zone of the Interior, also know as the Continental 48 States.

T/O&E = Table of Organization and Equipment, the organizational document that described the Engineer General Service Regiment.

O, WO, and EM = Officers, Warrant Officers, and Enlisted Men