Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

13th Armoured Division

Discussion in 'WWII General' started by lynne sidaway, May 1, 2018.

1. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

I have another query; I have a photo of a soldier who was killed in action August 10th, 1944. 329th Infantry regiment, 83rd Division,(St Malo) However he is wearing a 13th Armoured sleeve insignia. Am i correct in assuming he was transferred from one to another as a replacement and if so was this very common? I think it probably was but am doubting myself as i usually do! thanks

2. lwd

lwd Ace

This might be better off in the information request sub forum and indicating the question in the title. Something like "US personnel replacement/transfer question". The US because we do have quite a few foreign nationals and some number formations exist in different armies. I'll alert the admins and they may move it if they think it's a good idea.

lynne sidaway likes this.
  3. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

Thank you, i'm never sure about where to post for the best.

4. lwd

lwd Ace

Don't worry too much about it. We're pretty relaxed here. The mods or some of us old timers are usually free (some would say too free) with advice and help. If you are not sure if something is in the right place you can always put a note to that effect on the bottom of the first post and ask the mods to relocate it if they think it belongs somewhere else. As long as you keep modern politics out of the historical areas the mods don't get upset that I've seen.

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I believe it would be more likely that a tanker was transferred to an infantry unit than the other way around. Of course, that is not to say it is impossible he could have been transferred from the 329th to the 13th AD. Getting his personnel records or tracking him thorough Morning Reports would be your best bet for getting a definitive answer.

lynne sidaway likes this.
  6. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

7. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

My post, i realised later, is not very clear.
    In a photo he is wearing a 13th Armoured insignia but he was killed later as an infantryman in the 329th/83rd Division so he would have been initially 13th and then transferred to infantry. This was not uncommon? Was there any criteria for transfer from tank to infantry? i suppose it was to replace the many infantrymen who were killed. This is the sleeve insignia,
    upload_2018-5-2_9-14-58.png

8. lynne sidaway

lynne sidaway Member

No i didn't know so thank you again, very useful to know.
    I have been on the 83rd website for the AAR's etc but not heard of Bangor Library.