Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

14th Armored Division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by JoshArterburn, Mar 21, 2012.

1. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

He should create an app for it. Man that would come in handy eh?

2. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Update,

I received an email from the president of the 14th Armored Division Association, who was a member of the 48th Tank Battalion. He was able to locate Clarence in the Division history, and informed me that Clarence fought with the 68th Armored Infantry Battalion.

I wasn’t sure if we would ever learn the specific unit he served with. So it goes without saying I am ecstatic to have this info.

It seems like I say this every time I post, but its well deserved. Thank you to everyone who has assisted me in this journey, and to everyone who makes this wonderful site possible.

A-58 and LRusso216 like this.
  3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's great news, Josh. I am very pleased to hear that you were able to get that info.

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

It's always good to hear of success stories. Post away Josh. We need your kind of validation.

5. RD3

RD3 Member

Very nice to hear that the input of the members of the forum leads to fine results.

6. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

I appreciate the kind words guys!

I have searched Google, but haven't found anything. Can someone tell me if the 68th Armored Infantry Battalion had a distinctive unit insignia?

7. Earthican

Earthican Member

There may not be anything official. You might inquire with your contact at the 14th AD Association and see if he has seen anything in the unit un-official documents (news letters, histories, programs from ceremonies....)

Barring that you could do a company guidon for HQ Co, 68th AIB, see here for 5th AD WWII guidons:

5TH ARMORED DIVISION 1944

[​IMG]

That had me wondering if there was a battalion flag for the independent units. I have only found this official battalion flag for a battalion that is part of an Infantry Regiment.

[​IMG]

And there were un-official battalion flags (702d Tank Bn below) for some of the many independent battalions.

[​IMG]

But I have not seen an official flag and I am not sure if it would be the "national eagle" flag. I have seen unit associations make post-war "national eagle" flags, here the 756th Tank Bn.

[​IMG]

8. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Roger that!

Also keep this in mind. If you or anyone here amongst the WW2 aficionados cannot locate a unit crest for you, there are sites online that will construct you a unit guidon flag like the one that brother Earthican displayed for us. In place of the "46" you can have them put "68", and in place of the "HQ" you can have them put "AIB". Find out what battle streamers that the division earned and have them made and attached to the guidon as well. It would make a wonderful addition to the game room, and not to mention a great conversation piece as well. Just something to consider if the search for the official unit crest comes up doodly squat you know.

9. JoshArterburn

JoshArterburn Member

Thanks again guys!

I like the guidion idea, it would look pretty good with my small militaria collection. I googled it and found some good prices on a custom guidion.

10. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Don't forget the pictures of it when it comes in.

11. Nordwind511

Nordwind511 Member

Hello Josh,
    I posted a picture of men from CCA of the 14th Armored Division in Hatten on 18th of march 1945. Look for the Thread "Hatten and Rittershoffen 1945" in the section War in Western europe 1943-1945 (it´s an document of the American military archives)

Michael

12. shinglehouse

shinglehouse New Member

Hi Josh,

You can find their complete history book here:
    http://68thaib.org/

Though it has been a few years now so you may have everything that I've posted already. There is also an interview with one of the veterans that you might enjoy.

They did have an insignia, I'm waiting for a copy to come in from one of the veterans. I did find one online but I can't use the image due to copyright....

Also, one of the members of this forum was a hero and shared the S2 / S3 journal of the battle for Hatten with me, I hope to post that this weekend.

Mikel