Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

14th Field Artillery Observation Battalion

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by gopher, Oct 31, 2019.

1. gopher

gopher New Member

My father was part of the 14th Field Artillery Observation Battalion, Baker Battery Flash. My family has the book The Fighting 14th which details their movements from Normandy in August, 1944, to Samswegen, Germany, near the Elbe River on V-E Day. They were assigned to Patton's 3rd Army while in France and through the Battle of The Bulge. My sisters and I would like to retrace the route of this unit through France, Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany in September, 2020. We want to visit the large battle memorials and also the small communities along the way that likely have their own memorials. Can anyone give advice on how to go about arranging this? Has anyone already followed this route? We could just rent a van and go, but I feel that we would need a driver and someone that could recommend sites and lodging along the way would be helpful.

2. A Cline

A Cline New Member

Hello,

It is possible my father was in this Battalion. Does your book have a Roster (Hollis L. Cline) or mention the 422nd Field Artillery Group? My father was in a FA Obsn Battery, don't know which one, and his mailing address from July 1944 through July 1945 was 422nd FA Group.

Re: Travels, I am also planning a solo trip, and have traveled Europe broadly in the past. If you up for doing this on your own, I can give you some advice re: inexpensive flights, cars, hotels, etc.

Best,

John Cline