Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

150th Anniversary of the Battle of Antietam

Discussion in 'Military History' started by syscom3, Sep 17, 2012.

1. syscom3

syscom3 Member

Sept 17th 1862. The bloodiest day in US History.

Of the 23,000 casualties, 3600 were dead. And we all know that back in that era, a significant number of the wounded would linger on for weeks or months till they too died.

General McClellan's handling of the battle was horrible. He could have won the battle early on (and wiped out General Lee while doing it) just by handling some basic staff work prior to the fight.

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Here in the South, we refer to it as the Battle of Sharpsburg, just like 1st & 2nd Bull Run are called 1st & 2nd Manassas.

I would not doubt that 3600 was a gross underestimation of the actual number who eventually died as a result of the battle.

3. 36thID

36thID Member

I walked these grounds 11 years ago. It was late October and I was by myself. I swear you could feel eyes on you,

A.P. Green on that bridge made a famous stand.

May All RIP....

syscom3 likes this.
  4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

Whatever it was called, and no matter how many actually died, it remains the bloodiest day in US history. What a waste.

5. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

So many were lost in this bloody war....it is hard for modern day people to understand how we could divide ourselves to accomplish this bloodbath....I hope we use it's memory to remember it is still possible..........if we fail to peacefully solve our differences. Is it lost upon us that a good number of reasons given for this war, actually were not solved until later years and even so there may be a few conditions that have never been completely solved?

6. syscom3

syscom3 Member

"The landscape turned red".

Not an exaggeration. I think only one or two WW1 battlefields had as much death per square meter in as such a short amount of time.

7. syscom3

syscom3 Member

I was there in 1985.

8. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Is that true?? What about WW1? i think Australia has lost 8000 and 12000 in one day...England probably similar...

9. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Remember they were using muzzle loading single shot weapons w/bayonets supported by muzzle loading short ranged cannons then, unlike in WW1 when semi-automatic rifles and fully automatic machine guns supported by rapid fire artillery and strafing aircraft. Still that was a lot of men killed and wounded in such a fashion in 12 hours.

10. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

On the first day of the Somme 19, 240 British & Commonwealth soldiers died and around 38,000 were wounded, CAC.

11. mikebatzel

mikebatzel Dreadnaught

While there were certainly bloodier battles fought throughout history, Anteitam remains the bloodiest for Americans. The Somme was quite brutal, but didn't include any US forces.

12. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

"To mark the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Antietam - the bloodiest single day in American military history - photographer Todd Harrington has retraced the steps of ground-breaking Civil War photographer Alexander Gardner.
    Photographic history changed forever at Antietam, as Gardner did something no one had done before and turned the lens on the grim reality of war - dead soldiers awaiting burial.
    Present-day photographer Harrington was set a brief to capture the same scenes, minus the bodies of fallen soldiers, to document how the landscapes have changed.

To make the process as authentic as possible, Harrington used the same type of equipment that Gardner had used 150 years ago, a stereo wet plate camera and glass plates.
    As these stunning photographs show, it turns out not all that much has changed. The land surrounding the historic battle site has been beautifully preserved, save for some modern elements such as telephone lines and paved roads."
    Same camera, different century: Stunning pictures that retrace the steps of ground-breaking Civil War photographer, 150 years later | Mail Online

13. 36thID

36thID Member

14. A-58

A-58 Cool Dude

Not exactly. Rear guard actions while the Army of Northern Virginia withdrew across the Potomac River to safety in Virginea took place at Shepardstown (19 Sept) and cavalry skirmishes that contributed to discouraging McClellan from pursuing Lee went on until early November. At that point Lee's Maryland Campaign was considered closed. Things were quiet for the most part until the carnage continued during the Fredricksburg Campaign in December (11-15) of the same year. And then the war drug on for 2 1/2 more bloody years.

Since we are talking about anniversaries, today is the anniversary of the Battle of Chickamauga, Georgia (19-20 Sept 1863). It was the last hurrah for the Confederacy. From this point on it would be a long string of bitter and a few Pyrrhic victories until Appomattox.

15. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Although I concede up front these things are unanswerable when we consider these large casualty numbers accomplished by enemies at war......I am unable to keep myself from wondering what the result for society would have been, if all these numbers had remained at home in productive work with their families building their communities etc. Of course when evil threatens we have no choice but to fight, but how necessary it is to exhaust all means of settling differences short of war if possible. Each of these lives was also lost to a family of some kind, a community of some kind, possibly a parish, possibly a school. Once you use this multiplier effect you begin to comprehend what "casualty" really means. It is visited upon the survivors in so many ways besides the personal suffering.

16. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

And for the most part, left the dead on the field of battle. There was no GRS during the Civil War.

17. 36thID

36thID Member