Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

157th Infantry Regiment After Action Reports

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by kerrd5, Dec 30, 2009.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I have scanned at 300 dpi the After Action Report
    of the 157th Infantry Regiment for the Sicilian Campaign.

With this completed, all of the AARs - July 1943 thru May 1945 - of all three Infantry Regiments of the 45th Infantry Division are now available as pdfs.

45thinfantry : 45th Infantry Division (Thunderbirds)

This file is eight pages and 4.5 megabytes in size.

Dave

Lars McKie likes this.
  2. OpanaPointer

OpanaPointer I Point at Opana Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Would you mind if we put an HTML version on Hyperwar?

3. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Not at all. To whom should I send the file?

Dave

4. ghjones

ghjones New Member

I'm doing research on my dad's time with the 157th in North Africa and Sicily. He was wounded at "Bloody Ridge". How or where can I get a copy of the AAR's that you have scanned?

5. James Dettmer

James Dettmer New Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and about 8 years late responding to your offer. My dad was in France with the 157th from DEC 44 to APR 45. I would like to get a copy of your AAR file if possible. Thank you. Jim

6. Edward D

Edward D New Member

I'm here on day one at the Forum. I'm here because after my Aunt passed away in 2015, I was responsible for her Will. When we cleaned out her home, I found a package of love letters her boyfriend had sent to her during the very short time he was in Italy and France. I also found his official Army portrait, his remaining dog tag and the insignia patches that either he'd given my aunt or came off his uniform and were given to her. The are fairly pristine so I don't think they ever saw battle. He was from Illinois, and was killed in action on October 30, 1944 during The Vosges Mountain Campaign. He is buried in the American Cemetery at Epinal, France. I was told by my Mother that he was in the Mountain Squad or something like that. I know he was an expert skier. This brave soldier was nineteen years old when he died and from what I can tell he has no living relatives. I want to give him the honor and tribute his bravery and sacrifice deserve. If anyone can tell me what his unit went through from the time he arrived in Italy in the summer of 1944 and especially the days leading up to his death. Thanks a lot. PS: I want to make sure his letters, picture and tag are preserved forever and was lucky enough to find the perfect place. The Center for American War Letters | Legacy Project | Chapman University

Otto and ANM like this.
  7. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

8. Edward D

Edward D New Member

Tommy776, You are absolutely correct. The story I posted a few days ago is about PFC Gavin McCarthy. Thanks for your help with this. I've created an album called 'Gavin's Things' and uploaded his photo. I'll try to photograph the other things except the actual content of the letters when I get a chance. Thanks again, Edward D.

9. Edward D

Edward D New Member

Tommy776, You are absolutely correct. The story I posted a few days ago is about PFC Gavin McCarthy. Thanks for your help with this. I've created an album called 'Gavin's Things' and uploaded his photo. I'll try to photograph the other things except the actual content of the letters when I get a chance. Thanks again, Edward D.

PS: It is probably obvious to those of you with experience in this forum but it's not to me. How did you arrive at PFC Gavin McCarthy so quickly?

10. TD-Tommy776

I searched the ABMC database using the 157th Infantry, Epinal Cemetery, and the date of death. IIRC, there were 4-5 results. He was the only one was from Illinois.

Someone has posted a photo on his Memorial Page at Findagrave.com. The shoulder patch is for the 71st ID, but looks like a photo taken before going overseas.

11. TD-Tommy776

He is listed as KIA on the Casualty List for Lake County, Illinois:

McCarthy Gavin Casualty List LakeCounty_IL.jpg

Here is his Interment Record which has his Next-of-Kin listed:

McCarthy Gavin Interment Record 30Oct44.jpg

12. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

PFC Gavin McCarthy belonged to E Company, 2nd Battalion, 157th Infantry Regiment.

Dave

13. Mark Dolan

Mark Dolan New Member

I have been researching my grandfathers WW2 history and was wondering if you had any additional information about him or his company during the time he was in Europe. Here are some of the details I do know about him. Thanks for your time.

Mark Dolan

Sergeant John L. Dolan

10/8/1923

Army Serial #31289300

Second Squad

Company K

157th Infantry Regiment

45th Infantry Division

Enlisted 2/1/1943

Active Service 2/8/1943

Departed US for ETO 6/10/1943

9/23/1943 Gallantry in Action Earned Silver Star Medal Oliveto Citra, Italy

8/15/1944 wounded

14. LE FLOCH

LE FLOCH New Member

Hello
    Still possible to get the AAR for Dragoon period 15081944
    Best regards
    Stéphane Le Floch
    Provence France

15. Robert B

Robert B New Member

Hello, I am doing research on my uncle, First Lieutenant, Infantry George Brose, who received a Purple Heart for wounds he got in the Caves on 2/20/1944 during the battle to take Anzio. He was in the 45th Infantry Division, 157th Infantry, Company E and was one of the two or three survivors of the attack. At the time he was a Second Lieutenant. I believe,but have not been able to confirm, Company E was in the 2nd Battalion of the 157th. My Uncle's service records were destroyed during the fire in 1973 at the National Personal Records Center but I do have his Purple Heart, the Award Letter and his General Discharge certificate. I am looking for any help regarding his service, when he was assigned to Company E and beyond. I am also looking at the history of Company E and the role it played in the taking of Sicily and France. I am not sure what happened to him once he was wounded, did he continue on fighting the Germanys or was he take off the front lines.
    Any help will be appreciated.

16. steven1163

steven1163 New Member

Hello,
    Are these AAR's still available at some location? I tried following the original link and they're not there any longer. I tried at HyperWar and couldn't find them there. I am researching my uncle who was KIA in Italy shortly after the Anzio breakout. Growing up hearing about him, I've always wanted to learn more about him and the day he became a hero and, like so many others, made the ultimate sacrifice. I will post all the info I know, and welcome any and all information I can get about him.
    S/SGT Verlin E. Martin #37400369 157th Inf. Reg. 45th Inf. Div.
    KIA - May 27, 1944
    I don't know what company he was in. After reading the battle history of the 157th for that time, I have to think he was in E company that got trapped in a mine field and almost completely decimated on May 27. As a kid I can remember hearing talk about him being killed by a mine or in a minefield. Thank you in advance for any assistance.
    Steven

17. ANM

ANM New Member

I've heard about my Uncle Gavin all my life, especially on Memorial Day, because he gave the ultimate sacrifice.
    He was a huge history buff and loved to read.
    I came across this post on this web site yesterday. I hope I can get in touch with "Edward D." and get a picture of the items Gavin's girlfriend had.
    Uncle Gavin had siblings and nieces and nephews, who love him. ~~

Edward D likes this.
  18. Jean Claude KEMPF

Jean Claude KEMPF New Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking for precisions about Lieutnant Wilton Lee who was in October 1944 in the C Co 157th Inf. Could someone say me more about him ?
    Thanks a lot.

19. Riter

Riter Well-Known Member

Contact the Thunderbird Museum in Oklahoma City. They do have an archivist/historian.

20. Edward D

Edward D New Member

Dear ANM, I hope that you are still looking at this website or, even better, that you are set up to receive alerts when you get messages from others on this thread. I'm the Edward D that you've been looking for. I hope you aren't offended by what I'm going to ask; however, I think you'll agree there are many people on the internet who are crazy and with ulterior motives. As such, could you just tell me a little bit about what your connection to Gavin is using maiden names and first names whenever possible?
    I'm sorry to be difficult and untrusting, but I feel very protective of the little bit of Gavin's legacy that my aunt preserved. She must have cared for him very deeply to hang on to such physical manifestations of his memory for 71 years. These objects, his letters especially, are all that's left that I know of that speak to us of him. He made a sacrifice that I can not even begin to fathom; it's incomprehensibly heroic to me that a 19-year-old young man willingly sacrifices his entire life for the men he's fighting with, for his ideals, and for his country. I hope to hear from you soon and that I can share with you everything I've learned about Gavin McCarthy.