Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

179th Infantry

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by NEWLY, Feb 9, 2011.

1. NEWLY

NEWLY Member

I have been trying to locate some information about my father and according to his discharge papers he was with CO A 179th Infantry. I see some posts regarding the 45th division but not sure if he was with that division or any other division.

He was Staff Sargeant and a squad leader.

His records were lost in the 1973 records center fire in St Louis.

Where do I go for info and what kind of info do I need to continue my search?

Thanks for any help.

2. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Newley, The 179th Infantry Regiment was an organic part of the 45th Division and fought with that Division throughout the war except for the 23 and 24th of August, 1944 when they were attached to the 36th Division, and 3rd to the 7th of Sept 1944 when attached to VI Corps.
    They were credited with the following campaigns--Sicily, Naples-Foggia, Anzio, Rome-Arno, Southern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. There should be a lot of reference material on the web and in the library about the 45th Division and the 179th Infantry Regiment.

3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

kerrd5 and Buten42 like this.
  4. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Excellent infomation Lou, it doesn't get any better than that. Also, a couple good pictures of the DUI being worn on the lower lapel and the US and branch discs on the upper. I saw the diagram you posted but wanted to see a uniform with them actually worn like that. I'll have to change them on my brother's uniform.

5. NEWLY

NEWLY Member

6. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Thanks for providing his company but I need his name to search my records.

By the way, there are many relatives of veterans of the 179th in our 45th Division
    Yahoo Group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/45thinfantry/?yguid=207054821

Dave

7. NEWLY

NEWLY Member

Dave, His name is Raymond Hugh Newland.

I will go to the yahoo site as well.

Thanks for your help.

Newly

8. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

According to General Orders 29, HQ, 179th Infantry Regiment, dated 8 October 1944,
    Sgt. Raymond, H. Newland, ASN 20730972, was awarded the Combat Infantryman
    Badge effective 19 August 1944, for "exemplary conduct in action against the enemy"
    (Image 6181, 22 August 2008).

Sgt. Newland belonged to A Company.

Dave

9. beachtraveler

beachtraveler recruit

How can you find out what company a soldier was in? I have my grandfather's discharge papers, but there is no company listed, just Med Det 179th Infantry. I'd love to know which company he was with so I can do further research.

10. E.W. Bragg Jr.

E.W. Bragg Jr. New Member

Dave (or others);

Are these pages still monitored? I am hoping to find some information about my Grandfather, who I can only narrow down to the 179th Infantry.

11. LRusso216

Unfortunately, Dave hasn't been. here for some time. Tell us what you know or suspect and we'll try to help. His name for a starter would be of importance. Do you have his discharge documents?

12. E.W. Bragg Jr.

Lou;

Thanks for the quick response!

I stumbled on this page doing some hard google-digging, and it's looking like I'm hitting a dead end.

I'm looking for any and all information regarding my grandfather's time with the. 179th Infantry. From the few remaining documents (including a Western Union telegram notifying his mother that he had been injured in Italy), I've been able to figure out the following:

Name: Michael E. Moran
    Rank(s): Private, later Private First Class
    Service Number: 31 286 836
    Assigned to: 179th Infantry
    Date Injured: 11 February 1944
    Awarded Combat Infantryman Badge: 23 May 1944

He would later be transferred back to the States, finally in Walter Reed before being discharged.

Unfortunately, with the exception of the hard-copies of his CIB award, summary of medals earned, and telegram (which my grandfather kept in his possession), all other records were lost in the St. Louis fire. I'm also trying to work through the Veteran's Administration to see if I can retrieve anything that might be kept as medical records from all of his visits to the VA throughout the years.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated!

-Ernie
    E.W. (Ernie) Bragg, Jr.
    Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army

13. LRusso216

[​IMG]
    I guess this is his headstone.

I haven't much else to add here, but I know that if he was awarded a CIB he would be entitled to a Bronze Star. This was authorized after the war by General Marshall. Many vets didn't know they were entitled to it.

If you haven't already seen it, try this book, here "The story of a regiment, a history of the 179th Regimental Combat" by Warren P. Munsell It looks as though you can download it.

Do you know what medical facility he was in?

14. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Hi,

The history of Fifth Army in Italy Volume IV P 120 says that on 11th February the 179th Infantry were tasked with retaking "The Factory" - the allied nick name for the settlement of Aprila. We can't be certain, but this is a plausible action in which he would have been wounded.
    You can read the story here
    http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/docs/5th Army/5th Army History - part four - Cassino and Anzio.pdf

This map illustrates the counter attacks on 11-12 Feb and shows the positions of 1st and 3rd Battalions of the 179th

There are maps from the Osprrey book on Anzio here Military Maps of Second World War from Osprey Publishing books

I was near there just before Easter with some British soldiers. This photo was taken two miles West - close to the letter "F" in 2 (BN) F (second battalion sherwood foresters). It is a memorial to the best known soldier to die at Anzio - though mosty people who hear his name have no idea about him,
    EFW Memorial2017-03-30 13.20.34.jpg
    His name is Eric Fletcher Waters and he is mentioned in many songs by rock band Pink Floyd

15. E.W. Bragg Jr.

Lou;

Thanks for the additional information.

My grandfather was first seen for several months at Cushing General Hospital in Framingham, MA before being trasnsferred to Walter Reed.

Regarding the Bronze Star authorization... do you have a good reference for such a policy? Given that his records were completely lost in the fire, I would like to send that, along with the few things I do have, to get the Department of the Army to formally publish an update to his authorized medals. (I want to make a shadow box for him, so this would be good to know before I have anything made.)

Additionally, any records or documents that show him on a manifest with the 179th (although I doubt I could get it down to the Company) would be extremely useful.

Thanks for everything you found thus far.

-Ernie
    E.W. (Ernie) Bragg, Jr.
    Staff Sergeant, U.S. Army

16. LRusso216

Here is information about the Bronze Star award. My father was awarded the CIB, and later was given a Bronze Star, which he didn't know until the 80s. I suspect that was not uncommon.

Background

a. General George C. Marshall, in a memorandum to President Roosevelt dated February 3, 1944, wrote: “The fact that the ground troops, Infantry in particular, lead miserable lives of extreme discomfort and are the ones who must close in personal combat with the enemy, makes the maintenance of their morale of great importance. The award of the Air Medal has had an adverse reaction on the ground troops, particularly the Infantry Riflemen who are now suffering the heaviest losses, air or ground, in the Army, and enduring the greatest hardships.” The Air Medal had been adopted two years earlier to raise airmen’s morale.

b. President Roosevelt authorized the Bronze Star Medal by Executive Order 9419 dated 4 February 1944, retroactive to 7 December 1941. This authorization was announced in War Department Bulletin No. 3, dated 10 February 1944. The Executive Order was amended by President Kennedy, per Executive Order 11046 dated 24 August 1962, to expand the authorization to include those serving with friendly forces.

c. As a result of a study conducted in 1947, the policy was implemented that authorized the retroactive award of the Bronze Star Medal to soldiers who had received the Combat Infantryman Badge or the Combat Medical Badge during World War II. The basis for doing this was that the badges were awarded only to soldiers who had borne the hardships which resulted in General Marshall’s support of the Bronze Star Medal. Both badges required a recommendation by the commander and a citation in orders.

d. Order of precedence and wear of decorations is contained in Army Regulation 670-1. Policy for awards, approving authority, supply, and issue of decorations is contained in AR 600-8-22.

Bronze Star Medal