Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

181st (?) squadron patch

Discussion in 'Medals, Insignia, Badges & Recalls' started by Air egg, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Air egg

Air egg New Member

View attachment 20398
    Bought at a thrift store. It was very inexpensive so I got it and opened the back out in the parking lot. This is what the backing board had written on it, "Harold F. Wurtz jr. belonged to the 181st (?) fighter squadron
    Ace and Jack = the #1 and #4 aces in the army AF were in this squadron"

The question mark was part of the original text. Can anyone confirm the 181st ? It is made of what looks to me as flocking with an adhesive back. I have not found another which was made like this so far in my limited research. It is made in differing layers of depth.
    Looking for dates and whatever insight that might be interesting.

Attached Files:

2. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

3. Air egg

Air egg New Member

Holy cow! Very exciting that they disbanded in '46. Hard to see for sure but it even looks like the one in the pic is the same sort of flocking, rather than leather. Can't wait to hear what else you see. I'm out of computer time but will be all over google when I get a chance and will post finds. Thanks very much

4. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

I'm not finding Wurtz in the personnel but that's not saying he wasn't there. I've only looked at the original roster and squadron personnel at the end of 1945.
    Could you post a few pictures of the back of the patch? Good luck!

5. Takao

Takao Ace

6. Air egg

Air egg New Member

Again on limited computer time (public library). This stuff is phenominal. So, the nurse and Harold Wurtz would have crashed near Saidor air base. The natives having a story about the crash as a supernatural occurance adds a whole new dimension to an interesting and sad story. In the photo it looks like the patch is the same material as this one. Can anyone tell me what these patches would have been made of? close up looks like this one is perhaps wool. Here's that shot of the back for Biak and a close up.
    These patches would have been the same for every pilot of the squadron right? I don't see anything to individuate this as being Wurtz's but that sure would be nice. I'm in the middle of an ongoing mini emergency but will definitely be back tomorrow. Very exciting stuff! Thank you both.

Attached Files:

7. Biak

Biak Adjutant Patron  

Maybe someone on here can answer the question about the patch. But I'd say you have a unique piece of History there! After reading Takao's post I did another search on Fold3 and found the MACR. It also answers why he wasn't listed on the personnel records at the end of 1945.

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. Air egg

Air egg New Member

Due to circumstances that I would prefer not to put on record, I have just had to put the patch up on ebay. I have been listing everything but the kitchen sink in an attempt not to do this... I debated if I should post about offering it and decided that It's that you guys might want to know. If this is at all inappropriate, I ask that this be taken down. Thank you for a great story.