Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1943 US MArine fighting knife

Discussion in 'Collections' started by Poppy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Thought I'd share this knife that was given to me from my father who received it from his uncle who served Canada as an MP in Alaska ( Kiska ?) in the mid 40's. Dad does not know why it is a US knife, saying that maybe uncle traded with US personelle. Not sure if you can see the stamping on blade. The hilt has some kind of mark on it too.....Any info on this knife would be appreciated and would make my old man happy. View attachment 14095

Attached Files:

2. RRA227

RRA227 Member

That is a U.S. M-3 knife issued to the Army. It has a M-6 leather scabbard. The scabbard should be marked. It is a blade marked and dated. It is a rare and early production. 854,015 production total. Rich A. in Pa.

Poppy likes this.
  3. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Hey. That's great news. ..By golly you are correct sir. Scabbard has:
    U.S.M6
    VINER BROS
    Thanks a lot Rich....Here is what I see for a M6 scabbard. M6_Sheath M6 SCABBARD WW2 -FOR M3 KNIFE-ORIGINAL 1943 VINER BROS. | eBay --650$ US for excellent condition.

From what I've read, the M6 was only produced in the first 6 months of 1943. They were replaced ( because the knife would cut through scabbard and injure men ) by the more durable M8. Looking for a value on the M3 now.

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I don't know what happened here. I'd delete but can't.

5. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Glad to help. I think it is what we are here for. Here is a pic of my Case blade marked/dated knife and a blade marked Imperial (I think) in a M-8 scabbard. I would value yours at about $650 with the wear it shows. I value mine at $900 because of all the blue finish on the knife(even with the grind mark) and the grip condition. Rich A. in Pa.

6. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Popps almost had a stroke when I told him that....Yours are in incredible shape. Thanks for posting... I can't read the pic. Who made yours?...Mine is missing the metal (hook?) on top of sheath and leather string. There is already a belt loop for sheath so what does the metal thing attach to?

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

-edit title-

I've also got a Ross Rifle bayonet I'd like to show for some feedback. Will post pics in new thread.

8. RRA227

RRA227 Member

Poppy,The top one is a CASE. It is supposed to have a M-1910 hook on top to attach to your rifle or pistol belt. I'll do a pic if you want. Rich A. in Pa.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yes, yes. Please show pic. Cheers.

10. RRA227

RRA227 Member

The value of the knife is alot less because the 1910 hook is gone. Here is a pic of my Case. It is hooked to a extender. It could be hooked to the belt or pouches with gromlets. This is my para belt/suspender. It was the easiest to get. Rich A. in Pa.

11. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

I see how that works. Thanks...Is that kit for a Thompson gunner? Or are those ammo belts for holding .45 pistol ammo?

12. RRA227

RRA227 Member

No. That belt/suspender is for the folding stock M-2 paratrooper carbine. That is why there is a big carbine "holster" on the side. The single 2 cell pouch is for the 1911 clips. This is my Thompson belt/suspender. It has 1 large 5 cell pouch for Thompson clips and a single 2 cell pouch for the 1911 clips. Rich A. in Pa.