Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

194th Glider Infantry

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by jeffgumm, Feb 5, 2017.

1. jeffgumm

jeffgumm New Member

On my uncle's military papers, it states that he was in the 194th Glider Infantry with the 82nd airborne. But in my research, I found that the 194th Glider Infantry was in the 17th airborne. Does anyone know which is correct? Thank you in advance.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

From www.ww2-airborne.us/18corps/17abn/17_overview.html

If you can post a copy of the document, it would be helpful to see the info in context. It is possible that he served in both. This could have occurred either during the War or after. The 17th Airborne was disbanded after the War, while the 82nd was not and was eventually designated a regular Army unit in 1948. If he remained in the service after the War, he might have been transferred to the 82nd. Also, it was not unusual for soldiers who were hospitalized and returned to action to be assigned to another unit.

It's also possible that the reference to the 82nd is a clerical error. Much more information would be needed to know for sure. It may be necessary to track him through the Morning Reports to know for sure.

3. adambhoy

adambhoy Member

The 194th GIR was a component unit of the 17th Airbrorne Division.

Most 17th troopers were transferred to either the 82nd or 101st AB Divisions in June of 1945, as the 17th AB Division was deactivated at that time and sent home--the high-point men from the 82nd and 101st joined the 17th for the trip home essentially, and the low-point 17th men served in occupation duty with the 82nd or 101st.

Thousands of 17th men ended up in the 82nd, and I would bet dollars to donuts that's what happened with your uncle; so he would have likely been in the 17th throughout the war, then transferred to some component unit of the 82nd in around mid-June 1945 until he left military service, likely in late 1945 or early 1946. Many of those new 82nd troopers came home with the division on the Queen Mary and marched down Fifth Avenue in New York in the victory parade that was held right after New Year, 1946.

If you need other info on the 17th Airborne I'm happy to help!
    Adam

TD-Tommy776 likes this.