Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1st Airborne Division Workshop REME, Arnhem 1944

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by robshepherd, Jun 7, 2011.

1. robshepherd

robshepherd Member

Our local war memorial includes a reference to Craftsman Alexander GIBB, 3603036, 1st Airborne Division Workshop, REME, died 20th September 1944 and buried at Arnhem Oosterbeek Cemetery.

Can anyone tell me more about 1st Airborne Division Workshop, REME, particularly with regard to the battle of Arnhem, or in particular, Craftsman Alexander Gibb

Many thanks

Rob

2. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

I'll start you off with the information that Craftsman Gibb was 24 years old and was originally buried in a field grave 150 metres south of the Tafelberg Hotel in Oosterbeek. His remains now lie in plot 21.B.19 of the Oosterbeek Cemetery. He was one of five fatal casualties in this Unit.

3. robshepherd

robshepherd Member

Thanks Martin
    That's a great help and a great start! Where were you able to find this information?
    Cheers
    Rob

4. Martin Bull

That info came from J A Hey's standard reference work, 'Roll Of Honour - Battle of Arnhem 17-26 September 1944' ( SFAM, Oosterbeek ).

Another useful source for you is Martin Middlebrook's 'Arnhem 1944' - according to this, 70 REME troops went to Arnhem with the 1st Airborne ; their primary task being repair of weapons and electrical equipment. As the Battle went on, they inevitably became involved more in the fighting, and there are several references to them throughout the book.

5. Martin Bull

And...Doh ! I almost forgot.....a very useful piece of background reading would be 'A Sapper At Arnhem - The Memoirs Of Harry Faulkner-Brown' published by R N Sigmond in 2006.....

6. robshepherd

robshepherd Member

Thanks again Martin

Rob

7. Rod Gourlay

Rod Gourlay New Member

My father was with Alex Gibb when he was killed. My father was Cfn S M Gourlay. They jumped together on Sep 18th. Both were REME personnel with 4 para assigned to the 156 battalion. The story Dad told me was that after surviving the breakout at Hacket’s hollow they were assigned to a house near the Tafelberg hotel. There were three other regular paras with them. An officer entered the house looking for a volunteer to help take out a sniper. The three regulars did not respond but Alex and Dad jumped up. Dad was armed with a sten but Alex who had lost his weapon in the jump had picked up a rifle from a dead para. The officer chose Alex to accompany him. When they were leaving the house with the officer in front Alex was struck and killed instantly. My father survived the battle and made it back across the river on the night of the 24/25 Sep. he was 19 years old at the time. He visited Alex Gibbs grave in 2004 when he attended the 60th anniversary. Dad went on to serve another 20 years in the British army and was a member of the SAS. He served with the SAS in Malaya in the mid 50’s. He retired from the army in 1964 and emigrated to Canada in 1966. I know that he had trouble coming to terms with his mates death.
    Rod Gourlay

George Patton likes this.
  8. Philip Reinders

Philip Reinders New Member

There is a book about the REME at Arnhem, "With Spanners Decending"by a former member Joe Roberts.