Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1st East Squadron

Discussion in 'Eastern Europe' started by Stewie Griffin, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

I read long ago about a luftwaffe unit compsed of volunteers from the U.S.S.R The unit was compsed of obsolete planes
    Does anyone have any info on yjis unit of any kind?
    Thanks everybody!

2. Hobilar

Hobilar Senior Member

I have to say that I am a little sceptical-I can't imagine the Regime condoning the use of Russian (or more likely Ukrainian pilots), but I am open to correction if someone knows better.

Having said this there were a few foreign manned units in the Luftwaffe. The most notable being the Estonian manned Nachtschachtgruppe 11 which operated obsolete Heinkel He.50s in night intruder missions over the Eastern Front between December 1943 and September 1944.

I am left wondering if the unit you are referring to is 1./Luftlandegeschwader 1 which is known to have operated (at least one and perhaps more) Russian built Polikarpov I-153 until 1942 when the captured Polikarpov fighters were handed over to the Finnish Force.

3. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

This alleged unit flew the PO2 Biplane and an assortment of Bi planes & Obsolete German
    A/C They allegedly flew Recon missions over the Northern Sector of the East Front That's about all I had found

4. wartourist

wartourist Member

Hi Glenn,

Are you familiar with this website; http://gyges.dk/index.htm ?
    Cannot immidiately find anything that relates to your specific question, but you can try email Col. Svejgaard, who is an extremely knowledgeable man within Luftwaffe affairs.
    Br
    Dan