Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

1st Inf Divison-18th Infantry WW2 1942-1945 ?

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Mike G, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Mike G

Mike G Member

Hey guys/gals Incase you didin't see I started a search on the New to Forum section (http://www.ww2f.com/new-member-forum/55601-new-here-searching.html). I doing research on my grand father trying to track his foot steps so to speak. But I haven't found a lot of info on the 18th Inf. Any help would be appreciated. This has really turned in to a great discussion on the link to the new member above. I posted my grandfathers release papers to give you a little better idea.

Thanks,

Mike G

2. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

3. Earthican

Earthican Member

If you are up for some reading, or need solid information to double check the questionable sources. Here you can find the US Army official histories.

HyperWar: U.S. Army in World War II

These will give short(ish) overviews of the campaigns of the 1st ID

The U.S. Army Campaigns of World War II

# Algeria-French Morocco: 8 November 1942--11 November 1942
    # Tunisia: 17 November 1942--13 May 1943
    # Sicily 9 July--17 August 1943

# Naples-Foggia: 9 September 1943--21 January 1944
    # Anzio: 22 January--24 May 1944
    # Rome-Arno: 22 January--9 September 1944
    # North Apennines: 10 September 1944-4 April 1945
    # Po Valley: 5 April-8 May 1945
    # Normandy: 6 June--24 July 1944
    # Northern France: 25 July--14 September 1944 [CMH]

These have more detail but you can skip to the parts involving the 1st ID

United States Army in World War II Series (The Green Books)

The Mediterranean Theater of Operations:

* Northwest Africa: Seizing the Initiative in the West
    * Sicily and the Surrender of Italy

* Salerno to Cassino
    * Cassino to the Alps

The European Theater of Operations:

* The Supreme Command
    * Cross-Channel Attack
    * Breakout and Pursuit

* Riviera to the Rhine

4. Earthican

Earthican Member

The above is from your introduction thread.

There is no evidence to support this idle speculation, but it is intriguing. This passage describes a significant bridge in the area where your father was wounded on 27 July 1944 and the 18th Infantry was the nearest 1st Division unit. However there were many lesser bridges in the COBRA Area so much more research would be required.

HyperWar: US Army in WWII: The Breakout and Pursuit [Chapter 13]

page 258

Thus at midnight, 27 July, the 1st Division had advanced on a front not quite three miles wide to a point about five miles west of Marigny.41 Though no organized enemy opposition was apparent, small enemy groups supported by an occasional tank or antitank gun formed islands of resistance, floating and static, in the American sea of advance, endangering both supply and evacuation. When twenty-one supply trucks loaded with rations, gasoline, ammunition, and military police went forward from Marigny, a company of medium tanks accompanied them to give protection. The column reached Camprond without incident, but, returning after dark with two truckloads of prisoners, the column had to fight its way back to Marigny.42 The attempt of a reconnaissance platoon to cross the Lozon River three miles west of Marigny stimulated a counterattack by about a hundred Germans supported by a medium tank and an antitank gun. The platoon had to call for infantry and armor reinforcements from the 9th and 1st Division before dispersing the enemy group.43

43. 4th Cav Recon Sq (Mechanized) Unit Rpt 1, 27 Jul, 1st Div G—3 Jnl and File.

Attached Files:

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That is an interesting bit of speculation, as you called it, Earthican. However, I wouldn't characterize it as idle. True, nothing in the account demonstrates that it is the same bridge, but there doesn't appear to be anything to rule it out either. As you said, more research needs to be done.

6. Mike G

Mike G Member

I found out from my mom that the bridge was in fact in around Marigny. The researcher has contacted me and came up with 28 copies from the archives microfilm for me. I should have it sometime next week. I'll keep you guys up on what he found out for me.

7. Earthican

Earthican Member

The attached PDF is a student paper from the US Army Infantry School. It was written after the war by an student that was the commanding officer of D Company, 18th Infantry in North Africa.

Being a military document it is rather technical on military matters but also has some personal observations that provide some insight into the experience.

The battles described take place in late March 1943. Your grandfather was wounded in November 1942 and again in May 1943 so it seems possible that he witnessed these events.

Attached Files:

Sopa13 likes this.
  8. Sopa13

Sopa13 New Member

I've been looking for that pdf forever Earthican, and the maps are great too, thank you for posting.