Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2 killed filming M-18

Discussion in 'Military Vehicle Restoration' started by bronk7, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

So they converted a fine 8" Howitzer into some kind of muzzle loading cannon

Pity, I quite fancied the idea of owning my own nuclear delivery means. ;)

2. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Yup. If I was lucky enough to find an 8 inch demilled howitzer that I could afford, I think it would be worth jumping through the ATF hoops to restore it.

3. Sheldrake

Sheldrake Member

Doesn't ATf get a little harder if you want to own a weapon covered under international arms limitation talks? I know the US has very liberal gun laws but surely there is a line drawn at ordnance capable of firing nuclear or chemical warheads?

4. Takao

Takao Ace

AFAIK, the nuclear shells are what is covered under the international arms limitation treaties...Not the artillery pieces themselves.

As the gun has been "demilled", it is little more than a very large one of these
    [​IMG]

And when you transport them...Well, everybody notices you
    [​IMG]

5. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I don't think there's any limitations on the size of the gun. There might be practical limitations depending on how it was demilled - if somebody had cut off the breech block slides I don't think I'd trust any welded on replacement with a gun generating those kind of pressures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IeEa8tqUkE

6. Takao

Takao Ace

The DeGroat 90mm was not demilled, but was ATF Form 3.

He had it up for sale back in 2008 for trade or $125,000 delivered. AFAIK, it was sold in late '08 - early '09.

7. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I didn't mean to suggest it was demilled, just another large gun. I'd love to have something like that, or an 88mm Flak rather than say, a 105 or 155 just because you could shoot at a line of sight target like a rifle, as intended. I had a picture on my timeline of a friends FB page with an 88 that somebody in Tennessee owns. I could use a gun like that for coyotes.

My birthday is coming up in March if you guys wanted to get together... just sayin'...

8. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

The 105 and 155 howitzers can fire line of sight, direct fire. It is and was, a commonly practiced and not rarely used method of fire. I think what would best serve you for coyote sniping would be a 75 or 105mm recoiless rifle with .50 cal spotting rifle attached. The 75mm is man portable (had a friend I went to SF school with that was a Ranger and jumped an M67 90mm into Grenada) and has been around since WWII.

9. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

Yeah, I know, but that wasn't the intent. I just like AT guns or guns like the 88 and 90 that became AT guns. I'd settle for a nice little 37 or 57mm gun. Probably save a lot of money on powder and still destroy stacks of bricks or coyotes at any useful range.

10. belasar

belasar Court Jester Staff Member Patron  

Just how big are those Coyotes any way? Did you buy some land formerly used to test nuke's?

11. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I have enough land to shoot a big gun. I'm used to debates with my wife on why I "need" a new gun. So, I tend to use that argument even when I just want it for fun.

12. USMCPrice

USMCPrice Idiot at Large Patron  

Yeah, that would be cool. Go with the 37mm, save a ton on powder, small enough to drag around with a jeep. Have to train the wife to be an A-gunner so you can grab the trails to shift it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utaE6cRcgzY

13. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

A later update says the mishap occurred while they were firing a round. So, not a hangfire or something like that. It also makes clear that the gun was demilled and then restored. I'm not sure how such a gun is demilled, but I suspect you'd cut the cut the breech or breech ring or both, if that's true it wouldn't be just a matter of replacing parts, you'd have to tool a new part or weld up the part (s)? It sounds like a failure of a repaired breech or breech ring.

http://www.ktvz.com/news/explosion-in-tank-east-of-bend-injures-2-possible-fatality/36082806

14. bronk7

bronk7 New Member

I needed an excuse to get rid of all this ''extra'' $ I have...

''restored 76mm''---o!...yes what does that mean?? ...great add on article....the comments were interesting with some more info