Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2012 Olympic Games News and Highlights

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

The men´s 100 meter final should be awesome. Might be the first time in history everybody finishes the race in less than 10 seconds...

2. brndirt1

brndirt1 Saddle Tramp

3. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

...and now six Gold medals in one day.......not bad for a bunch of poms ! :)

4. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Not bad. Been already there to watch beach volley games,Martin? Seems like the "locals" are going nuts about beach volley?! ;) ;) No wonder!

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Great 100 meters run by Bolt! Lousy start but when he got going there was no stopping him. Incredible speed! Unfortunately no new WR but OR indeed!

6. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Always someone has to.... :( :(

BBC News - Olympics 100m final: Bottle thrown before Usain Bolt win

A man has been arrested after a bottle was thrown on to the track seconds before the start of the men's 100m final at the Olympic Stadium.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said a man had been heard shouting abuse and was then seen throwing a bottle. It landed behind the sprinters.

US athlete Justin Gatlin, who won bronze in Sunday's race, said the bottle had been a "little distraction".

Nobody was injured and the event was not disrupted, police said.

The suspect is being held at an east London police station on suspicion of causing a public nuisance.

7. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Loving the water polo. It's just hockey on ice that is above 0 degree's. Penalty box too. Except maybe that everyone is over six foot tall. A punch to the face -hockey- or possible drowning-polo-?..I'll take the punch.

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Watched the American women's soccer team (OK, football across the pond) win gold. A good match on both sides. I coached high school girls so this match was special to me. I hope the women's game continues to grow.

9. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Yeah, we beat France for Women's Bronze soccer. Played lousy, but won...Thinking thats 15 ish medals...Heard we were like 29th ish.

10. Ken The Kanuck

Ken The Kanuck Member

Well it isn't so much our lack of success in our medal count or ranking behind Ethopia or Kalistan what bothers me, it is the bitching, complaining, pissing and moaning I keep hearing from our athletes in the media.

KTK

11. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

Bolt wins both 100 and 200 meters gold. What an athlete. Surprised to see Germany win the beach volley men´s final, but that´s the way it sometimes go... American women´s soccer team deserved to win the final, I think, but for some 25 mins during the second half Japan was quite strong, and thanx to Hope the defender´s blunder did not end up in goal for Japan.

12. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

13. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

double post

14. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

15. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

I saw Brokaw's piece, enjoyed it for the most part, but wondered why it was shown at the opening of the nightly segment of the worst Olympic coverage I can remember. Nearly an hour of what many were probably saying "WTF". This was the Olympics after all and would have been more interesting to have a little more Olympic History.

16. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I was at a local Irish pub last night and saw part of the closing ceremony (sans audio). Can anyone explain to me WTH that was? The musicians were the Spice Girls, George Michael and Annie Lennox sailing a ship across the river Styx? Maybe I didn't have the proper context or something, but what I saw horrid.

17. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

Was there a fashion show?...Not a fan of that...but, the gays need to participate in the Oly's too. Peace.

18. Martin Bull

Martin Bull Acting Wg. Cdr

That seems to be the general feeling here. The Opening Ceremony was brilliant, but the Closing one......I think a discreet veil should be drawn......:eek:

19. scipio

scipio Member

Before we finish just can't resist a plug for my county, Yorkshires's exceptional Olympians and all in "real sports"- 7 gold, 2 in boxing, 2 in athletics, 2 in rowing and one in cycling which puts us just behind Australia and above NZ.

We want independence before the next Olympics.

20. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I couldn't agree more, Martin. I was able to watch a bit of the Opening Ceremony and, with the exception of the tedious parade of countries which they do every 4 yrs, I thought it was well done. The Closing almost made me spit out my Guinness and nothing makes me spit out my Guinness. :cheers:

I'd suggest getting some help from France, but I'm not sure if they are in that business anymore. ;)