Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2012 Olympic Games News and Highlights

Discussion in 'Sport & Athletics' started by Poppy, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

One of the things that I liked about the closing ceremony was; Ryan Seacrest didn't even know what to think or say. Best part of the coverage (here in the....... wait for it............... USA!-USA!-USA!), was not having to listen to inane commentary from motormouth-ill informed-broadcasters.
    All in all, Hats Off to the athletes and now we wait 2 years for the Winter Olympics !

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Happy to say I didn't watch much of either the Opening (although I did catch Sir Paul) or the Closing. I did watch a good deal of the athletic competitions which, for the most part, were exciting for me. I enjoy most aspects of sport, although I could do without the over-excited sportscasters. Looking forward to the Winter Games in just two years.

3. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Still confused about the bulk of "sports" though. I DO understand some of the arguements about modern sports...but those same arguements apply to current sports also. Why are we seeing sailing, discus, triple jump, javelin...bloody walking etc etc etc etc...???? Why compete and be supreme in a sport that less than 1 percent of the population is involved in? If you lessened the number of sports, less need be spent to set up and stadium and television numbers would sky rocket! Imagine sports like Soccer, Rugby League and Union, (Golf, Tennis) baseball, softball, cricket were regularly in the olympics!! Never mind world cups or championships, this would become THE bench mark for these sports...or at least another one. And an awesome chance at making a bunch of money. There is an arguement that most of these sports requires equipment that most poor countries cant afford...Well that situation already exists. Indeed i made the observation a couple of days ago that if Track and Field was done away with, there would be barely a black/dark skinned person in the Olympics and wondered if THIS was the reason for keeping so many irrelevant sports alive in the games. Maybe not, i dont know. I just think its a farce tha we see these sports and care even a little bit about them just once every four years, other times they never cross our minds...First in an irrelevant sport....big deal! I think the fastest man IS relevant...strongest man/woman IS relevant but thats about it...except the marathon. What do others think?

4. Poppy

Poppy grasshopper

The Kenyans/Ethiopians etc do well... Just run baby. ..If there were a Scary Tax's competition in the Oly's, Canada would surely win.

CAC likes this.
  5. Biak

What do others think? Well this other could care less for more basketball, soccer/football, rugby, baseball and most of the other "popular sports". I lost my 'zeal' for the Major sports long ago when it became clear that "For the Love of the Game' meant 100 Million dollar contracts and ticket prices so high you might be able to attend one game a year without taking out a loan. Besides, the Olympics is a showcase for All sports. I'm not really excited for Table-Tennis (or Tennis for that matter) but I guess it is the National sport in Korea and China. To each their own. I enjoy watching and playing Golf but don't believe it should be considered an Olympic sport. I look forward, every four years, to seeing different sports like Archery and the various Shooting venues. And every four years I'm disappointed because the coverage of the 'mainline' sports supersede those not so popular ones. Beach Volleyball?? If not for the fact the gals have to wear Bikini's I'd never watch.

6. Biak

I just lifted this comment from: Every Single Person in America is Pissed at NBC's Olympic Coverage

"The BBC coverage matched Team GBs performance at the Olympics- Pure Gold - 24 live channels in glorious HD available through satellite TV (Sky TV or Freesat). It was even possible to watch every event live and online using a cool piece of technology that did not buffer and allowed you to wind back if you had missed something. I don't think I saw one advert for another TV programme for two weeks :)"

If this is true I'm applying for British citizenship before the 2014 Olympics. :flag_unionjack.wave

I'd rather Ireland or Scotland but for some strange reason we don't have an emoticon flag for those two fine Countries?