Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

21st Anti-tank regiment August 1944

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by keith A, Jun 16, 2015.

1. keith A

keith A Member

I know I have been down this road before but.... :confused:

I have two engagements for this very successful unit but can't work out which is which.

As was shown in the earlier discussion the 21st ATR Z Battery destroyed four tanks in an engagement in August. However I have found a second engagement where Q (SP) Battery destroyed four tanks. Both engagements are linked to the death of Major TRD Batt but he was killed on 3 August 1944. Details for Q Battery's fight indicate 3 August 1944, and Z Battery's to be 5 August 1944. Can anyone confirm the details? Q Battery led by Major Taylor, who claimed 2 Panthers, also awarded Panther kills to Lt Hawker and Sgt Farrow. A account by the Leicestershire Yeomanry reduces the 3rd August claim to 3 Panthers by

The War Diary indicates a 48 hour battle, and that 4 SPGs and a Panther were knocked out and a fifth SPG captured. Six successful claims but the accounts indicate nine at most.

The Z Battery (towed 17 Pdr) engagement states four PzIII tank kills (Stug III) possibly with a Panther...medal citations indicate two separate engagements with three ko'd in the first and one in the second. The IG Commander JOE Vandeleur describes the engagement as a hit on one tank followed by three colliding while trying to escape and abandoned.... :confused:

help please

regards

Keith