Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

232nd station hospital ETO

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by ronko4u, May 29, 2010.

1. ronko4u

ronko4u recruit

Looking for information on the 232nd station hospital, my father was assigned to during WW2.

2. Einstein

Einstein recruit

What do you want to know? My uncle served in this unit too. He joined it at Camp Maxey, Texas in the Spring of 1943 as a surgical technician (861). The 232nd was activated on 26 Feb 1943 at Camp Maxey as a 250 bed station hospital. It then went to 500 beds, 750 beds and finally a 1000 bed hospital in June 1943. On 15 Dec 44 the entire 232nd went by troop train to Camp Kilmer, NJ, arriving on 19 Dec 44. Each soldier got one 12 hour pass during that time and most spent it in NYC. O/a 7 Jan 44 the 232nd left NYC on board the Mauretania. On 19 Jan 44 they arrived in the evening (heavy rain) at Liverpool, England. They disembarked, loaded into trucks (once they arrived) and were taken to a transient/staging camp at Oulton Park in Cheshire, a few miles east of Chester. Eventually they ended up in Carmarthen, Wales on 24 Mar 1944. They stayed there until 4 Mar 1945 when they relocated to Netley (large British hospital near Southampton) and Tidworth. On 12 Jun 1945 the 232nd moved to Staging II area near Ringwood to prepare for being sent to the Pacific Theater. When Japan surrendered in August, plans changed, and the 232nd returned to original mission on 12 Sep 1945. On 1 Dec 1945 the 232nd was move to Camp Kingston Lacy, Dorset, to stage for return to the US on the Queen Mary on 29 Dec 1945 from Southampton but, if I recall correctly, were bumped by the 82nd Airborne, and left later in January, 1946 from Southampton. My uncle didn't have the necessary 85 points to return with the 232nd and had been reassigned as a MP in the fall of 1945 to a different unit. Their commander throughout this entire time was COL Leonard F. Wilson. The National Archives in College Park, MD has a very good file (with photos) on the 232nd which is the source of the info provided here. I hope this helped.

kerrd5 likes this.
  3. oulton

oulton recruit

Hi I found your post about the 232nd Station Hospital my father served in this unit as a driver and mechanic.. I've a copy of the Unit History that you saw at the National Archives and a few additional facts about their time at Caermarthen. Also a couple of letters I received from guys who were in the 232nd.

4. nanaree

nanaree recruit

My father also served in the 232nd as a Surgical Tech. I have been to Carmarthen, South Wales. They built a permanent hospital on the site of the tent hospital after the war.

I would appreciate any information anyone has on the 232nd.

5. L Brown

L Brown New Member

My father served in the 232nd station hospital. He was Joel W Brown - a tec 4 Pharmacist. He trained at Camp Maxey in Texas and travelled to Carmarthen, Wales with the unit. My mother worked in the office at the camp in Carmarthen - she was Welsh. Married my father and came to the U.S. as a war-bride in 1946. I have a few photos that were taken at the camp in Carmarthen. One shows my father and few other members in front of the PX.

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Welcome and please feel free to post the photos.

7. L Brown

L Brown New Member

8. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Nice photos. Can you tell us more about each one?

9. L Brown

L Brown New Member

I'll try. Dont know much. I can point out my father, but cannot identify anyone else in the photos. Maybe someone else on this forum recognizes somebody. I will add what I can to the descriptions.