Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

24th National Meeting of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force Veterans

Discussion in 'WWII Today' started by JulioMoc, Jan 30, 2013.

1. JulioMoc

JulioMoc Member

Hello my friends,

There's some time since I don't post anything, but I'd like to share this with you. Last November I attended the 24th National Meeting of the Brazilian Expeditionary Force Veterans, which took place from 7 to 10 Nov, 2012, in the city of Juiz de Fora.

Well, as you may know, Brazil sent an Expeditionary Infantry Division, totalling 25,000 men, in 1944, to Italy. There, the 1st Brazilian ID "The Smoking Cobras" (Gen Mascarenhas de Morais) was integrated into the IV Corps (Gen Willys Crittenberger) of the 5th Army (Gen Mark Clark). After fighting in the Garfagnana sector until October, it was transfered to the Appenines, in front of the Castelo-Torraccia-Belvedere mountain range. Conquering Monte Castelo in February 21, 1945, while the 10th Mountain Division did the same in Monte Belvedere, the 1st Brazilian ID then covered the left flank of Crittenberger's advance to the Po Valley. In April 29, the Brazilians captured the German 148th ID (Gen Otto Fretter-Pico) and the remains of Italia ID (Gen Mario Carloni).

The meeting takes place every year, always a four-day event. Today, there are still hundreds of 1st ID veterans alive, but as Brazil is a huge country, it's difficult to reunite all of them in the same place. We had about 40 veterans attending, which is a very good number.

I made an extensive account of the event, in Portuguese, but you can translate it to English with the translation tool I put in the right column of my blog: Sala de Guerra: XXIV Encontro Nacional dos Veteranos da FEB

But here are some photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36thID, Slipdigit and LRusso216 like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Julio, I'm glad you're back. The photos are amazing. Thanks for the pictures and the reminder of the Brazilians usefulness in the war.

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Excellent Julio.

The pictures show some proud men, and they should be.

4. 36thID

36thID Member

Thanks for sharing !