Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

250 Infantry Division (Blue Division)

Discussion in 'Living History' started by PzJgr, Oct 3, 2003.

1. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

As some of you know, I have recently moved to NE Ohio. I attended a reenactment of the DDay invasion held in Conneaut, OH. It was very good. I ran into a unit portraying the Spanish volunteer Division, 250th Infantry. Since my grandfather was a Spanish volunteer, I think I will honor him by doing the same and joining this unit.

for those of you who are veteran reenactors, any advice on starting out?

I do understand it will be costly in time and money but better spending on this than the bar. :D

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Carl, the Mexican restaurants up here come nowhere close to even the bad ones in Texas. Give me real tamales and barbacoa or give me death!

2. Onthefield

Onthefield Member

Hey PzJgr, I respect your admiration for your father and your honoring him by joining the reinactment. That's awesome that you respect your father like that, that's definetly something that people lack today. Good luck on you reinactment quest. ;) :cool:

3. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Its always good to hear of someone else getting into living history stuff, I can only really give three pieces of advice (things that I didn't necessairaly do but wish I had):

1. Take time to get things right, I reckon one of the differences between a good re-enactor and a bad one is that a good one never finishes his 'impression', there is always something more to be added

2. When you start buying kit, buy the good stuff straight away rather than getting stuff that is ok but you intend to replace in the not to distant future, you really just waste money and the extra time it will take to get high quality gear is well worth it, after all, you don't need to turn up to your first event perfect.

3. Look right, you can have all perfect kit, wear everything correctly, have filled out ID books, tags, driving lisences and so on, but unless you go to the effort of looking at photos and so on, noticing things like how men stand etc, it can all be wasted.

Well, thats my advice, for what its worth. I would be more inclined to listen to William and Doc (does anyone know where he is these days?) as I think they have been in the 'trade' longer than me.

4. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Thanks Stefan. Those 3 tidbits are worth their weight in gold.

Also a thanks to you Onthefield for the kind words.

[ 04. October 2003, 10:51 PM: Message edited by: PzJgr ]

5. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Any time, though as the words are technically weightless I am feeling rather poor still. The only thing I have to add is 'get dirty, uncomfortable and make the most of it' because so many re-enactors avoid either of the first two as they do not realise how to do the latter. Being slightly uncomfortable makes a huge difference to the way you look, even if it is just being unwashed or badly shaved (use cold tea, works wonders). Thanks for the compliment and HAVE FUN!

6. panzergrenadiere

panzergrenadiere Member

PzJgr, Welcome to reenacting. Your only a state away from me so who knows we might meet up at a reenactment some day. What Stefan says covers the basics pretty well. Since your in the same area for reenacting as me I can help with stuff like vendors to buy from and good events to go to. If you ever have a question or looking for a place to buy something I'll try to point you in the right direction. My only motivating thing to say about the hobby is you do it to have fun and learn, but most important of all to honor the men we portray. Well I hope to see you on the battlefield some day. My unit is the 25th PanzerGrendier Div. www.25panzergrendiv.com

7. William

William Member

In a short post, I can't add much to Stefan's list except research, research, research, and when done, research some more.

Find out answers yourself. Ask within the unit, but be sure to "question authority". And if you EVER hear "well, it's been done like this since I joined", always try to find out why-is it because it's the correct way, or is it because no one cares enough to make it right? I don't know much about the unit you're speaking of, but the few times I've been on their website, it looks like they are doing good.

It'll be awhile before I know for sure, but I may have some other contacts for the Blue Division. One of my research methods is to contact the veterans themselves, and I recently sent a letter to the contact person for the division organization. I'll be sure to let you know what (if anything) I get.

I'd appreciate a private message, if you don't mind, as I have some questions for you concerning your grandfather...

And to answer the question of where Doc's been lately-new job and school. I'm hoping I'll see him this weekend at an event, but we'll have to wait and see.

If you have any questions what-so-ever, do not hesitate to ask anyone here or in your unit. We'll not hesitate to help where and when we can.

Maybe we'll run across each other in the field one day.

Rip

8. C.Evans

C.Evans Expert

Hi PzJgr, thanks for the advice--I can only (sic) imagine what there Mexican food tastes like :eek: :eek:

Send me your address and I can send you some Tortilla Chips and some Salsa if you want? :D

I hope you do join their reenactment group but, just let them know they can't keep a Texan forever. [​IMG]

9. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

One other thing that I am not sure the rest of the guys will agree with but I tend to do. Find out how YOU would wear your kit, what I mean is that if (for example) your webbing is uncomfortable in its official arrangement then rearrange it. If you think about it you are an individual, you will never see two photographs in which soldiers are wearing their kit in exactly the same way so wear yours so it is comfortable, Soldiers are not stupid, if it is comfortable they will wear it, if not they will make it so.

Thanks for the update on Doc and I agree 100% with what you say about how things are done, do not be afraid to be an individual and to do things your own way within reason.

10. PzJgr

PzJgr Drill Instructor

Thank you all for some great tips. I will comply.

Panzergrenadier, same here. I am attempting to join the outfit on their trip to the Battle of the Bulge event. Unfortunately, I will not be in gear as of yet but maybe we will run into each other.

[ 07. October 2003, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: PzJgr ]

11. Ostfront

Ostfront recruit

Saludos a Franco!!

A small note to those interested in the Blau Division, The European Military Historical Society has taken the task to portray the DRK and the 250th, we have a complete camp and field hospital. And also have associated members.

We work close with personnel in Spain and DANK.

We are in the process of also having a museum in Madison, Ohio
    "Der Frontsoldaten Museum".

If you are coming to DDAY in Conneaut we will be having our 2nd Annual Truppenfest, flyers will be given out on Sat.

The EMHS participate in 9 events a year, not counting schools, libraries and special presentations.

We are Living Historians, and our portrayal is real, we cook, eat, shower, like they did.

If you like to shoot and go home, this unit is not for you, we are first IN, last OUT.

We also sponsor FESTUNG EUROPA, in Madison Ohio, visit our web page for info

http://ostfront.topcities.com

Besten !

Roberto Santiago, Major, 250th 3 Kompanie
    Strumbanhfuhrer (SD),101 Waffen-SS

CAFE !

12. Friedrich

Friedrich Expert

Welcome, Ostfront! [​IMG]

I recently met an 86-year-old veteran who fought in the National Spanish Army at the decisive battle of river Ebro and with the 'Blue division' in Leningrad. He won the Iron Cross I Class.

Now he lives part time in Albania and Mexico and has a PhD. in History by the University of Salamanca. A very active academic for his age, actually. He gives lectures, courses, classes, writes books, essays and artciles for magazines and newspapers… :eek:

13. Stefan

Stefan Cavalry Rupert

Welcome to the forum Ostfront and thanks for your imput.