Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

27th Infantry Battalion, 9th Armoured Division

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by PfcMichaelBPenney, Feb 16, 2015.

1. PfcMichaelBPenney

PfcMichaelBPenney New Member

Hi everyone. I am looking for photos and more information on the 27th Infantry Battalion, 9th Armored Division, which my mother's brother was with. I know they were traveling with the 285th Field Artillery Observation Battalion in December 1944.

2. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Here is some information about the units of the 9th Armored, including the 27th Battalion
    http://www.history.army.mil/documents/ETO-OB/9AD-ETO.htm

Here is some information about actions at the Remagen Brigdehead
    http://www.allworldwars.com/The%20Remagen%20Bridgehead%20March%201945.html

And here is some information about the 9th Armored and 27th Battalion during the Battle of the Bulge
    http://www.battleofthebulgememories.be/stories26/32-battle-of-the-bulge-us-army/551-ccb-9th-armored-division-battle-of-the-bulge.html

I will try to find some more information. Hopefully this will help you get a start PfcMichaelBPenny.

3. PfcMichaelBPenney

Thanks Smiley. The first link is prior to my Uncle's death, and the remaining links links are after his death. I just found this excellent video on YouTube showing the bodies in the Massacre of Malmedy and how they were loaded on the truck which you might find interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha95FMtkdLw It is the best video I've found thus far showing the victims of this massacre.

4. Smiley 2.0

Smiley 2.0 Smiles

Disturbing I will say, but that is a good video!

5. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

I did a search for the 27th Armored Infantry Battalion on the BOB Memories website. Here are the results:
    www.battleofthebulgememories.be/component/search/?searchword=27th%20Armored&ordering=newest&searchphrase=exact&limit=20

I didn't check them, so you may want to see if any are close to what you are seeking.

Also found a PDF of the Field Artillery Journal from Feb 1946 (direct link to PDF file) with an article by a survivor of the Malmedy Massacre. It's only a 3 page article, but by someone who was there and relatively soon afterward.

The Eisenhower Presidential Library collection of US Army Unit records has nothing on the 27th AIB. There is a folder on the 285th FAO Bn, but the contents have not yet been summarized. There is a file folder on the 9th Armored Division which may or may not have anything of interest. There is a summary of the contents in Volume I, Box 130.

PfcMichaelBPenney likes this.
  6. PfcMichaelBPenney

Thank you for the responses. Unfortunately, most of the information provided is after December 17, 1944 when Pfc Michael B. Penney was massacred. I do know that the 27th Infantry Battalion, 9th Armored Division was moving with the 285th Field Observation Artillery Battalion on December 17th. Here is a link on what the Field Observation Artillery Battalions did, which would explain why the soldiers massacred in Malmedy/Ligneuville were not experienced fighters as all accounts of these massacres express. http://sill-www.army.mil/firesbulletin/archives/1948/NOVDEC1948FULLEDITION.pdf The publication also provides some insight into what a Field Observation Artillery Battalion did.

7. PfcMichaelBPenney

Just found an article on History Central that says Mills and Lary continued down the road to Ligneuville as they had send men ahead to place markers???

8. PfcMichaelBPenney

I want to THANK Man of Sorrow here for the first link in his reply, as it contains an EXCELLENT link from the Battle of the Bulge website which of the CCB, 9th Armored Division, Battle of the Bulge, December 16-24, 1944.

http://www.battleofthebulgememories.be/stories26/32-battle-of-the-bulge-us-army/551-9th-armored-divison-battle-of-the-bulge.html

Sorry the full link here isn't showing, but this is probably the best account. The book, Battle of the Bulge - Battle for St. Vith, provides additional information on CCB, 9th Armored Division.

9. PfcMichaelBPenney

The Lone Sentry's booklet, The 9th: The Story of the 9th Armored Division also has the account of Ligneuville, Belgium

10. bronk7

bronk7 Well-Known Member

o yes, Martin Bull probably remembers the Bulge book that shows great photos of the Malmedy area where that took place [shows many panoramic views] ...I think it's Nuts:the Battle of the Bulge...?..it's been mentioned here before....Fatal Crossroads is a good book also for diagrams of the trucks/troops/etc at the scene of the massacre

11. Natman

Natman Member

There's a good 10 page account (starting on page 213) of the action around Baugnez on Dec. 16 and 17th in the book "A Time for Trumpets" by Charles B. MacDonald. Both Capt. Mills and Lt. Lary (he survived the massacre) are mentioned as are the "route markers" which were guys they dropped off at each intersection to guide the following vehicles.
    EDIT: The last sentence above is part of the info related to the convoy that was made up of many guys from Battery B of the 285th FAOB.

You may be able to find the book at your local library or they can have a copy sent there.

Steve

12. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This should link to the article

You're welcome. I think this is the direct link to the article you mentioned: CCB 9th Armored Division, Battle of the Bulge

It does seem to be a very good day-by-day summary.