Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

280th Engr Com Bat/ 311 Eng Dep Hey Ya'll

Discussion in '☆☆ New Recruits ☆☆' started by WthrLady, Jun 24, 2010.

1. WthrLady

WthrLady Member

Obviously I'm new here. I am working on research on my grandfather, who passed in 2000. He never spoke of the war with the grandchildren as war wasn't something you discussed with genteel young ladies. Sigh.

I was able to finally get a hold of his service records from the archives (luckily none of them were in the great fire).

He is listed as:
    before 44 he was in his 3.5 year at Valley Forge Mil Acad. - his whole senior class enlisted at Christmas, without graduating. I'm hoping to get VF to confer honorary diplomas for that class that went off to war.

Co L 311th INF March 30 of 44

Co A 280th Eng Combat Bat from 4/23/44 until 8/11/45

730th Engineer Det Dist Co 11 OCt 45
    (after that he went to flight school and went officer.)

I know he was at the BoB, Aredenes, and Alsance Fr. I THINK he was in some part of D-Day.

I'm looking for areas of work, and battle lines, any photos, unit patches pictures etc.

I know it's a lot to ask, but I've been reading the forums and you all are amazing. He was a bridge builder and a construction forman.

We're AirForce and I'm lost with all the army history.

Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. I will check back often for replies. Again, thank you.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to this fine forum wthrlady. I came across this site devoted to the 280th Combat Engineers. Perhaps it will help with your quest.
    280th

Based on the patches at that site, he served, at various times with the Third Army and the Ninth Army, as part of the XVI Corps.

Others may be able to give you more detail, and I'll keep looking.

3. WthrLady

WthrLady Member

I've pieced together quite a bit the last couple of days. Here is something I need help with.

I have 280th Engr Combat Batt
    Co A

now I need to take it up the chain and figure out what Division/Corp/Army this was......

thoughts? anyone?

4. Skipper

Skipper Kommodore

Welcome to this fne forum, I'm sure someone will read your request soon and hopefully be able to help

5. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Please check the website I mentioned in my post #2. I'm not sure of his division yet, but he was in the XVI Corps, at various times in the Third and Ninth Armies. Check through that site for pictures and more information.

6. WthrLady

WthrLady Member

I've been to that site, before this one in fact. But thank you. :) I did get the full roster of personnel, which was great. I've found that several of his fellow sgts have just recently passed away. :( I'm writing the 280th Bat historian today.

7. WthrLady

WthrLady Member

8. WthrLady

WthrLady Member

The 280th ECB group is having the book reprinted ! WHOOT!

9. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Welcome, I hope you'll find something..

Also what do you mean with the 'great fire'?

PD

10. WthrLady

WthrLady Member

11. Kilroy.Was.Here

Kilroy.Was.Here New Member

Hello WthrLady & all in this thread, My name is Anthony Duva my Father "Nicholas Duva" is whom I made the www.280th.us website for and though my focus was on my father it really is in honor of the 280th as well. Granted, perhaps they are all gone by now I know there was only one soldier (whom resided in Mexico) in the entire battalion that was younger than my dad. I was fortunate to have met many of the men that served in the 280th as there was a 280th association created many years ago and the members found my father in 1998 which was the first year my father, mother and myself attended the 280th reunion located in St. Louis that year. Then every 2 years after that until his passing. The first reunion I attended had had over 100 members.... the last had less than 15 and my dad was not among them. I was fortunate to have been made an honorary member for my efforts in assisting with anything and everything needed during the reunions we attended. From videograghy / photagraphy / bellhop / scribe-member check-ins... the list goes on. Yes I did alcohol and snack runs as well :)

Though I never met her there is a lady by the name of Caryl Bohn. Her grandfather was Fred Rupp (I think he was Co.A.) Anyway, I remember she had spent a lot of time and effort researching the 280th and at one time had a blog with tons of information she had collected from its conception, to troop movements and it disbanding. I have not corresponded with her in years but will try to reach out to her and see if she still has the data she collected. Here is her email in the event you would like to try yourselves
    Caryl Bohn - SevereStormwatch@gmail.com

Like all the men/women regardless of race or color who served in WWII the men of the 280th were a special breed their brotherhood was second to none I surely hope I can see them again when it is my turn to shuffle off this rock.

I will see you on the other side "I love you Dad"