Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

2nd Armored Division

Discussion in 'Western Europe 1943 - 1945' started by Buten42, Jul 5, 2009.

1. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Do we have any 2nd Armored veterans, or anyone interested in the 2nd out there? I've done a lot of research on the "Hell On Wheels" Division, and especially the 67th Regiment. Would love to compare notes.
    buten42

2. DivineIntervention

DivineIntervention recruit

Not really. My World War Two knowledge is parchial to be honest. I do know they relived the 101st during the Battle of Bloody Gulch.

3. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

I have attached a photo I won on Ebay.

The caption on the back reads:

"Berlin, Germany.
    Signal Corps Photograph from 'Yank'.
    Tanks and jeeps of the U.S. 2nd Armored Division,
    as well as German traffic, is held up pending the
    repair of a bridge."

July 1945.

Dave

Attached Files:

4. historyfan

historyfan Dishonorably Discharged

5. PizzaDevil

PizzaDevil Member

Nice foto, Kerrd.

6. Triple C

Triple C Ace

Yes, I am interested in the US 2nd Armored Division as well. The 2nd Armored was a very powerful division and had a solid reputation for their skill, morale and dash. They fought the elite panzers at the height of their powers, unlike the more famous 4th Armored. That division fascinates me.

7. bullseyebill

bullseyebill Member

My uncle was in the 67th,2nd Bat,Co F.Entered service in June of 41 and saw action in N. Africa ,Sicily,and Europe.I'd be interested to see what info you have on the 67th.
    regards ;Bill

8. Sivadar

Sivadar recruit

I'd be interested to see what info you have on the 67th. I have been researching my family tree (maternal) and I discovered a great great uncle who fell on 29 JMul 1944 during operation cobra: Details are:

Roy V. Screen
    Private First Class, U.S. Army
    Service # 36073843

67th Armored Regiment, 2nd Armored Division

Entered the Service from: Illinois
    Died: 29-Jul-44
    Buried at: Plot F Row 5 Grave 11
    Brittany American Cemetery
    St. James, France
    Awards: Purple Heart

9. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Savidar--Sorry to hear about your great uncle. The breakout was truly a bloody affair especially for the Germans during the carpet bombing. Suggest you read "Breakout at Normandy" by Mark Bando. It's pretty graphic but very informative.
    Charles Rost, shown on page 60 sent me a personal history of his service in the 67th. Also get the book "Hell on Wheels Surgeon" by John Erbs. Dr. Erbs ( page 90 of Breakout) was the most decorated surgeon in WWII and with the 3rd Battalion of the 67th. I helped the family of Sgt. Tanner gather information on the death of Sgt. Tanner (page 115 of Breakout).
    He was in Co. A 67th, same as my brother. Would love to share what you have on your great uncle. The 67th History shows him with an "R" where his Company would normally be--It's the only one like that I've found and might be Recon. You don't happen to know what Company he was with? Dave

kerrd5 likes this.
  10. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Here is a U.S. Army Signal Corps photo, which I scanned at the NARA,
    College Park, last September:

[​IMG]

The caption reads:

"While waiting for orders to proceed, this tank crew makes minor repairs
    and services the dug-in tank.

"European Theatre of Operations.

"CO G, H, & I, 3D Bn, 67th Armd Regt."

Date: 10 October 1944.

SC 195335, Credit NARA.

If anyone wants a high resolution version of this photo, just let me know.

Dave

George Patton likes this.
  11. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Great picture. This was taken just after breaching of the Siegfried line by the 2nd Armored near Ubach Gremany. The third battalion had gone into a defensive position. "the tankers went on the defensive, holding a front line for 16 days with dug in tanks." from History, 67th Armored Regiment.

12. Sivadar

Sivadar recruit

Dave,
    Thanks very much for that. I'm afraid I know no more than what i have already stated. I have ordered the book "Breakout at Normandy" here in the UK. Apart from filing for Roy's service papers, there is no more I can add at present. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Ray

13. Armored

Armored recruit

Hello,
    I have some infos re Pfc. Roy V. Screen. He was in the Rcn. Co. 67th AR and was KIA at Notre-Dame-de-Cenilly. I sponsor his grave in the Brittany American Cemetery via the association "Fleurs de la mémoire".
    John

14. Buten42

Buten42 Member

Armored, I want to thank you for sponsoring PFC Screen's grave--It really means a lot to the familys of these men to know someone remembers the sacrifice and cares enough to watch over their final resting place. Believe me, time does not erase the loss of these loved ones.

I'm sure Sivadar will be very interested in whatever information you have--as would I. There is a good account of the battle in the the History of the 67th Armored Regiment around Notre-Dame-de-Cenilly during Operation Cobra but couldn't find anything specific about PFC Screen. Please post what you have. Dave

15. Sivadar

Sivadar recruit

That is amazing and I must thank you for your dedication John. I only found out about him when I received a LARGE family tree from some US relatives. I would be really greatfull for any info you are willing to share. I know he was from Illinois, Mason County, but really would like to know about his short time from when he landed intil his untimely death.

16. Armored

Armored recruit

Here two screenshots of a file from the 67th Armored Regiment Rcn/Co. Early morning on 29 of july 1944, was a german counter attack at crossroads named "La Pompe"/"La Pinetière" 1 mile SW of Notre-Dame-de-Cenilly on D 38 road. The battle ended around noon. The 78th AFA (2nd AD) drove back the attack with the help of the 2nd AD "Division Reserve" (41st AIR). It was a hectic time between the US troops and the best german elite troops mostly paratroopers and SS. 195th AAA (2nd AD) was also involved in this action. John
    View attachment 16487

Attached Files:

Sivadar likes this.
  17. rprice

rprice Member

While looking for info on another unit, I ran across this amazing collection of documents covering the 2nd AD and attached units. It covers three days of operations in September, 1944 and includes journals, AAR's, situation reports, operation reports, unit history entries, etc. Contains 138 pages in pdf format.

My sincere regards to the guy(s) that put it together!

http://tinyurl.com/d4zx6vm

Richard

18. fredvogels

fredvogels Member

I have been working on the 2nd Armored Division and their battalions (combat, tank, engineer). And I do hope to find more information about this Division.
    You can see at 1944-45 by unit (take a little time to load and scroll down to the AMO(U)RED part) and other places on the website how far I am now with the 2nd Armoured Divison as a total or the separate battalions of the 2nd div.
    I hope to use the journal form the last post. Thanks!
    Fred

19. rprice

rprice Member

Great site, Fred!

But FYI, the "1944-45 by unit" page doesn't play nice with my browser (IE 8.0). While trying to run a script it used >50% of my cpu and over 350MB of ram. That went on for about two minutes, then IE just gave up.

Richard

20. fredvogels

fredvogels Member

I am using Firefox. It takes a little time but not 2 minutes. Are there more experiences by others?