Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

313th Infantry regiment 79th infantry division

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by pjgillen, Oct 17, 2010.

1. pjgillen

pjgillen recruit

I am desperately researching my father's army history. He was a Sgt at time of separation and was scheduled to go the Switzerland when the war ended, but chose to come home. I don't know his company, but would like to find out and if there are any survivors from his company or their family members. His name was William David Warren from Mississippi. His records were destroyed in the1973 fire. I am pretty certain he was in the 313th, but know for sure he wore the Lorraine Cross patch.

pjgillen*at*yahoo.com

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome PJ. I don't know if you've seen this site, but it might be of interest
    Lone Sentry: The Cross of Lorraine Division: The Story of the 79th Infantry Division -- WWII G.I. Stories Booklet
    Here is a bit on the 313th. Highly decorated.
    313th Infantry Regiment - World War II History (LoneSentry.com)
    I also found this listing that is part of a CD collection that might help.
    Jones, George W. CPT, "Operations of the 3rd Battalion, 313th Infantry, 79th Infantry Division, in Alsace, 8-9 December 1944" (Rhineland Campaign)
    World War II: Infantry Commanding Officer Experiences Reports

3. WW 2 Connections

WW 2 Connections Member

You may wish to take a look at your father's Discharge Documents to confirm the unit he was assigned to. Box #6 will list the unit, but sometimes the unit listed is the unit the Veteran came home with, NOT the unit they served with prior to V-E Day.
    If your father was assigned to the 313th Infantry Regiment as you believe, April 7, 1944 & April 16, 1944 should be the first two dates in Box #36 of your father's Discharge Documents.

Richard V. Horrell

4. Nat Singer

Nat Singer recruit

I was in the 313th HQ Co., 1st Battalion from D-6 til end. Looking for anyone from that time who is still around.

PFC Nathan Singer
    nasco123@bellsouth.net

5. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Welcome Sir,
    There are a few Veterans who drop in now and then and share their stories. Anxious to hear any of yours.

6. Nat Singer

Nat Singer recruit

Thanks for the quick reply. This is being written by my son who is visiting and leaving shortly so my limited computer skills will make it difficult to post more but I will try.

I was in 1st battalion of the 313th and would like to connect with anyone who serve with me or wants to talk about the times from Normandy to Czechoslavakia. My son filmed some of my reminiscences and will edit them so perhaps we can have a digital record of my experiences before my demise and perhaps post them here or in a blog for others to see.

I don't know how to do many of the technical aspects here so any help would be appreciated. For example, I have a Purple Heart, Bronze Star with Oak Leaf Cluster and the usual campaign medals and ribbons. But I notice that many people have posted their medals and I would like to do so but don't know how to do that.

Blak, what outfit were you in?

Nat Singer

7. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Mr. Singer I'll send you a private message and I might like to add that your presence on this site will be highly anticipated.

8. J5man

J5man recruit

Mr. Singer and others. I am taking my father to Normandy in a couple of weeks to visit his brother's gravesite. I am trying to piece together bits of information to follow his journey and visit the vicinties while there. His name was Virgil Ray Eadens (went by Ray). He joined the 313th Infantry Regiment out of Detroit Michigan. He was in the 157th Infantry Brigade, He was also in the 79th Infantry Division. A picture of him also shows a 42nd Division Rainbow Patch. He was in the Battle of Cherbourg. His last letter was written from underneath an apple tree on June 18th. He was wounded on June 22, 1944 and died 2 days later.
    What I am looking for is info on:
    1. Did anyone know him
    2. Exactly where was his troop on June 18th, June 22nd

I just discovered this site. For all veterans on here, thank you so much for your service that has enabled all of us to live in a free country. God bless you.

9. jwbowers

jwbowers recruit

Hello. I just tried emailing you to share what information I have. Unfortunately, my email was returned as undeliverable. Please contact me via this forum.

Thank you.

10. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

According to Brandon Wiegand's Index to the General Orders of the 79th Infantry Division, SSG William D. Warren was awarded a Purple Heart by General Orders 62 of 1944, HQ, 79th Inf. Div. But the Index states he belonged to I Company of the 314th Infantry Regiment.

Dave

11. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

According to Brandon Wiegand's Index to the General Orders of the 79th Infantry Division,PFC Virgil R. Eadens
    belonged to the 313th Infantry Regiment. He died of his wounds and his family received his Purple Heart.

Dave

12. Stm1961

Stm1961 New Member

Hello, I have information regarding a gentleman who served in the 313th Infantry Army Regiment in WWII. His name was Raymond L. Cooper, and he died 20 April 1945 in Germany. The packet includes the Western Union telegram of his death, his patches, his eyeglasses, his calendar, some photos, a beautiful poster from President Truman, in addition to other info. Everything is in near pristine condition, except for having been rolled up in a canister by the War Department, and it has remained in this canister, all this time, in a drawer. I do not want this packet. I am not related to the man. What I'm hoping is that a family member will come forward, or that I may donate this packet to a museum. I am also attempting contact with the family; I am a genealogist with 30+ years of experience, and research has revealed that his parents and all siblings have passed on. Please respond or advise. Otherwise I will just keep it and keep on looking for an appropriate repository for these items.

13. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

14. Stm1961

Stm1961 New Member

Actually, he is buried in Knoxville TN

15. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

You are correct on his burial. I suspect Jeff made a mistake.

Do you know who the telegram was addressed to? That might help to find any relatives who might be interested in what you have. What about the photos. Any inscriptions?

16. Slipdigit

17. Stm1961

Stm1961 New Member

Yes I know who the telegram was addressed to, that person recently passed away and these articles were theirs. There are several photos, and on the back the inscriptions are in French. The best I can hope for at this point is to find a nephew or niece, or a descendant of same, or find a museum. I will keep looking. This is a treasure trove for someone, albeit a very sad one; and I know first-hand that the original owner, for personal and painful reasons, did not want to "keep this in the family". There is some very personal info in these pages that really belong to the man's family. I am so sorry I can't go into more detail without giving up confidential info.

18. Stm1961

Stm1961 New Member

I have traced his family history a tiny bit, in hopes of finding a living descendant. The family started out in Virginia but did move to Knoxville Tennessee by 1935 per census records.

19. Slipdigit

I guess it boils down to how much time you want to spend on this. I will imagine that it will involve a lot of phone calls and emails.

I spent about two years (off and on) looking for a man that I knew far more about than you do. Then this past month, I found another that I spent really no more than a few weeks looking for.

Get the name out there on every forum you can find, you never know who might enter his name on search page.

20. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Since you are a very experienced genealogist, I doubt I can help much. However, I do agree with Slipdigit that putting Raymond L. Cooper's name out on the internet and hope that a relative can use it to connect with you.

If you cannot find a family member, you may want to see if the East Tennessee Historical Society would accept it as a donation to their collection.