Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

338th Infantry Regiment 3rd Battalion Photo

Discussion in 'Italy, Sicily & Greece' started by mcv8412, Sep 13, 2013.

1. mcv8412

mcv8412 New Member

Photo of the 338th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Battalion late in the war

Attached Files:

Johnesgef and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

That's a great photo, mcv8412. It looks more like a company than a battalion. How do you know it's the entire 3rd Bn? Writing on the back or a relative who served with the 338th? I'm not doubting your truthfulness, just curious since there was not much explanation or description provided. I have some familiarity with the 338th, but not enough to know how much their numbers would have been depleted. Any additional info you have would be appreciated.

By the way, as a new member, I hope you will make a formal introduction of yourself in our New Members area.

3. mcv8412

mcv8412 New Member

TD-Tommy776

My dad (died 1991)fought with the 3rd battalion, company I, and the description was taken from the back of the photo written by him. I wish I had more information on the photo but that was all there was.

4. TD-Tommy776

Not a problem. I suppose that he would have noted "Company I" on the back as well if it was only his Company. Too bad he didn't date it. That might help us narrow down where they were when the photo was taken.

5. Earthican

Earthican Member

It definitely looks like a company photo with the four company officers sitting front and center. Is your father in the photo?

To place the photo we can look at the apparent season. To me it appears to be late spring or summer. Since the 85th ID did not get any extended breaks in the spring and summer of 1944, I would guess spring/summer of 1945 after the war ended.

The mountains in the back could be the Italian Alps or the northern Apennines. The 85th ID ended its fighting near Belluno -- not far from the Dolomites in the Alps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Belluno,+Italy&ie=UTF-8

Image searching villages in that area, such as Sedico, I found this page. The second and third photos with the building and mountains in the background looks similar.

http://www.magicoveneto.it/Belluno/Sedico/Noal-di-Sedico.htm

I wouldn't rule out other locations near the Italian Alps but this is a good place to start given the division location when the war ended.

It might be possible to exactly match the mountain peaks but that would require someone more familiar with the region.

If you were interested in obtaining a company roster, you could hire a researcher to check the Army Morning Reports and Rosters in St. Louis.

6. mcv8412

mcv8412 New Member

Earthican
    My dad is on the 2nd kneeling row, 3rd from the left.

7. Earthican

Earthican Member

TD-Tommy776 likes this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

Excellent job of connecting, E. That's a great thread. I strongly suggest you check it out, mcv8412. You might even want to try and contact Jdombr25.

9. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I had forgotten about the earlier thread. Good memory E (at least, better than mine). An interesting re-read.

10. Jdombr25

Jdombr25 New Member

Curtis,

What does the inscription say on the back of the photograph?

- Justin

11. Jdombr25

Jdombr25 New Member

I don't think there's anymore doubt as to the 'authenticity' as to whether or not this group photo is of Company I or not. I have been in contact with Janet Maxwell, daughter of S/Sgt. Arvid Barber who passed away last year at the age of 97. Barber was one of the 'originals' of Company I who joined the 338th Infantry at Fort Dix, around the time my Grandfather joined, in October of 1943. Barber not only remained in the unit, it appears, until its inactivation in August of 1945, but he also had the same picture in his possession, with his location in the photograph marked. I'm thankful his family provided it. In Curtis' picture Barber is in the last row and in the middle, and is the tallest soldier.

I'm waiting for more emails. Apparently there is a date and location possibly known about the photo too, which would tie up some loose ends.

12. JtheOtter

JtheOtter New Member