Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

37th Infantry Division, 129th Infantry 1943-1945

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Polishmafia, Oct 29, 2007.

1. joshmiller

joshmiller New Member

Wow, I am not sure how I missed that from your original post (underlines and all)... Thanks! I will look into that.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I used to work at a library and I can vouch for the inter-library loan system. It's phenomenal.

3. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

It's great to have another member who is interested in the 129th Infantry Regiment. Feel free to start a new thread specifically about your grandfather's service. If you need help with anything in your grandfather's letters or if you just want to share :) go ahead and post them. To get around the 500kb limit, use an image hosting website and post the link.

I have not seen the 129th History available electronically. I think it would be a great service if you were to take on that task. The book in the Amazon link seems to have a lot of condition issues for them to be asking $90. If you are motivated to own a copy and are patient, I would suggest holding off. They do show up in better condition from time to time. If you don't have a need to own a physical copy, then Natman's suggestion is the way to go.

You may also want to look for a copy of the 37th Division history. You can get a relatively inexpensive reprint from the 37th Division Association. The original hard cover histories also show up on the popular auction sites. It's a well written book that puts the 129th's history in a larger context.

No doubt, this refers to the capture of Clark Field-Fort Stotsenberg, which was credited to the 40th Infantry Division 3-4 days before it was actually captured by the 37th Infantry Division.

If you haven't done so already, here are two volumes you should add to your personal digital library:

Cartwheel: The Reduction of Rabaul

Triumph in the Philippines

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Her Profile posts will do much better in the open forum.

What she has is too general. the name is a common one. State? Living? If not, place of burial?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017