Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

3d printed models

Discussion in 'Modelling' started by Prospero Quevedo, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Prospero Quevedo

Prospero Quevedo Well-Known Member

As time passes I see more and more ads for printed models. Even larger scales 72 to 48. Now most I've seen in 144 have been poorly detailed lack of or extremely over done. But I think as time passes it will get better. Some new model company came out with a kit on hobby search. 48 I think looked rather basic. LoL models, houses, what next plastic body parts for cars planes. Boats kitchen ware, that 3d printed metal gun a hoax. That plastic gun worked but blew up after a few shots. Anyway be interesting to see what new products come out over the next few years.

2. CAC

CAC Ace of Spades

Printing houses is the single biggest advancement IMO...Australia is working on a "rover" that prints building foundations at the moment...for the moon bases. Send them up and they do most of the heavy lifting building wise... and then the astronauts turn up...

3. Prospero Quevedo

There's some company that built a giant 3d printer to make some kind of survival houses. You just assemble the premanufactered panels and you have a survival house with shuttered windows for the zombie Apocalypse. I think it would be good for printing boat hulls. Light weight epoxy car bodies. Model ship hulls for 144 72. 48 35 scale. Would love to build a rc carrier a Yorktown or Essex angle deck

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Misread that as 3D painted models. :oops:
    The new specs are going back...

5. Kai-Petri

Kai-Petri Kenraali

I see it as a possible great thing to people who have a heart valve problem. As neutral tissue you need not eat all the anti-resistance medication if you had another human's valve. Saving human lives-I like that. Kph

6. Prospero Quevedo

One ad said the model wasn't smooth due to the way the printer layers the build and that smoothing out might be required. Hmmmm, spray heavy layers of Mr surfacer and sand with a fine file. I think Mr surfacer works fine but I'm going to try auto primer next time as it's alot more inexpensive and you get more volume. Like I used auto body spot putty filler, works as good as squadron putty.