Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

431st AAA AW Battalion History

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by kerrd5, Dec 5, 2011.

1. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

As I mentioned in the other thread, Howard S., a veteran of the 431st AAA AW Battalion (M), very kindly provided his original copy of the Bn history to the forum to be scanned.

I scanned the 61 page booklet at 300 dpi; the pdf is 35 pages and 21 megabytes.

As Lou and I discovered, even breaking it down into three parts (approx. 7 megabytes each for emailing) is too large to post as an attachment to a thread.

Consequently, anyone who would like a copy of the History should send a PM
    to me or Lou Russo and we will email the pdf in three parts to you.

Dave

jaguwar likes this.
  2. jaguwar

jaguwar Member

A very useful tool. Thanks for providing this.

3. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Here are screenshots of the scanned booklet:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dave

4. clarke187

clarke187 Member

if you send me the pdf i can host it (and probably make it a bit smaller)

5. NancyD

NancyD recruit

Hello Dave,
    I would like a copy of the History of the 431st AAA AW Battalioin. My father was at Camp Hennchir Lebna in Tunisia in May 1943 with the Provisional Signal Aircraft Warning Battalion (which became the 582nd SAW Bn) and the 431st Sep Coast Artillery Bn (AA) was there at the same time.

I am wondering if these two units were always together and if so it might answer some questions I have on what my father was doing Jan-May 1943.

Thank you.
    Nancy

6. kerrd5

kerrd5 Ace

Nancy,

What is your email address?

Dave

7. Ruger

Ruger Member

Dave,

I would like a copy of the 431st AAA AW Battalion History. Can you please email me the pdf. My email address is: semperfidevildog68@gmail.com.

I tried to email greenfrog last year without success. Is the best way to communicate with him through the forum? I'm really not computer savvy about blogs and forums.

Thank you in advance for the pdf.

Ruger

8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Ruger,

If you don't get a reply from Dave, Lou will probably be able to help you. He should be by pretty soon.

Tom

9. Ruger

Ruger Member

A million thanks to greenfrog for sharing his booklet The 431st AAA AW BN, Memories of Three Years Overseas!!! Hope this finds greenfrog enjoying good health and looking forward to his upcoming 95th birthday in November. This was my original email to greenfrog last year:

greenfrog,

My dad was in 431st AAA AW BN and shipped out of Camp Stewart, Georgia, also. After watching "Band of Brothers", my grandson has lots of questions about his Great Grandpa and the battles he fought in. Unfortunately, he passed away in 1996 and he never talked much about the war. We have his military papers and lots of pictures that he took while overseas. However, we do not have the stories behind the pictures or details of the battles. We also have the oversized battalion picture taken at Camp Stewart on May 2, 1942. If you have the same picture, my dad is on the back row 13th from the left. Did the 431st go through the Kasserine Pass? Any info you can share would be most helpful.

Many thanks to Greenfrog, to Dave and the WWII Forum for making this publication available to its members. I will now know the path my Dad traveled and the stories behind the old photos--It is a thrill beyond words!

Ruger

10. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member Patron  

I'm not sure if greenfrog (Howard Smith) will answer, but you can email him here Howard Smith [hjsmith at hargray.com]. Good luck.

11. Ruger

Ruger Member

Thanks, Tom. I checked this morning and do not have the pdf yet. Can't wait to get it.

Ruger

12. Ruger

Ruger Member

Thanks, Lou, I'm happy to get greenfrog's email address. I would like to send him a personal thanks. Finding this booklet two days ago on this website is like finding a hidden treasure. It's absolutely golden--can't wait to get the pdf and read it.

Thanks again,
    Ruger

13. Ruger

Ruger Member

Tom,

I have not received the 431st AAA AW BN (M): Memories of Three Years Overseas yet? If PM means private message, I'm not sure I correctly requested it. Also, I had a computer crash last week and may have lost data. Any help you can give this new recruit would be greatly appreciated.

Ruger

14. TD-Tommy776

You are probably not authorized for PMs yet. I'll contact Lou for you.

15. LRusso216

I got Tom's PM, and if you (Ruger) don't get my message, I have all three parts of the unit history. If you'll send me your email address, I'll send them to you.

16. Ruger

Ruger Member

Thanks to greenfrog, Dave, Lou, Tom and the WWII Forum for all their efforts and dedication in making the booklet, 431st AAA AW BN (M): Memories of Three Years Overseas, available online. Without the WWII Forum, I would never have known this publication existed! I knew all the campaigns my Dad fought in; however, with the 431st being an attachment, it's been very difficult trying to track down the trek he took and the battles he fought in. Finding this publication was like finding HISTORICAL and GENEALOGICAL GOLD! And, the maps are absolutely priceless!

Thanks again to the members of the WWII Forum for this historical treasure!
    Ruger

17. TD-Tommy776

You're welcome, Ruger. We're here to help! :D

18. LRusso216

I'm glad you got what you need. I know how important these booklets can be. Happy to help.

19. Ruger

Ruger Member

I wrote a letter to Howard Smith (greenfrog) last month thanking him for sharing his copy of The 431st AAA AW BN, Memories of Three Years Overseas. Yesterday I received a note of thanks from him along with his willingness to answer any questions my family might have. My personal thanks to Howard Smith for his continued service and dedication to the families of the 431[SUP]st[/SUP]. Wishing greenfrog health and happiness for his 95th birthday on November 12th!

Ruger

20. LRusso216

I'm glad to hear that Howard is still willing to help. Thanks for the update, Ruger.