Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

459th Amphibious Truck Company - Questions!!!

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by patti, Nov 29, 2011.

1. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

2. Luckybranches

Luckybranches New Member

My grandfather Lincoln Hoyt Jones served in the 459th, and told his children that he landed in Omaha Beach (not Utah Beach). His DUKW was sunk, they were bailing with their helmets, and they eventually had to abandon the craft and make it to shore loaded with gear. I will add photos as I can get them (none from the landing, only a very few from the incursion on land).

3. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

Indeed, the 459th Amphibian (Amphib) Truck (Trk) Company (Co) was attached to the 131st Quartermaster (QM) Battalion (Bn), HQ & HQ Detachment, along with the 453d and 458th Amphib Trk Co. The 131st QM Bn in turn was attached to the 5th Engineer Special Brigade, which was part of Assault Force O-1 (16th Infantry Regimental Landing Team). First elements of the company, 8 DUKW, were scheduled to land at H+65 on EAST RED carrying essential engineer supplies for B Company, 37th Engineers, which was to land concurrently from LCI(L)-88, but the main element (18 DUKW) were to land later carrying the 18th Field Artillery Battalion.