Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

468th AAA Auto Wpns BN Bat A

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by mikepadrick, Jun 20, 2004.

1. mikepadrick

mikepadrick recruit

Hello, my grandfather served in the 468th AAA Auto Wpns BN Bat A. I would like to find out as much information about this unit as possible. If anyone could direct me to a site to help in my search I would greatly appreciate it. He rarely spoke of his days in WWII, his motto was "Those who listen learn more than those who speak". The most information that I was able to get from him was that he was in France for the Normandy. His orders were GO 33 & 40, WD 45 Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes and Central Europe. Thanks for any help I can get.

e-mail me at mjp0726@comcast.net

Thx again!

Mike

2. Military History Network

Military History Network Registered Member

I find this little bit in "Order of Battle - US Army - World War II by Shelby L Stanton:
    15 Oct 42 - Activated Camp Haan CA as 468th Separate Coast Artillery Battalion, Antiaircraft Automatic Weapons (Semi-Mobile)
    30 April 1943 - Redesigated as 468th Anti-Aircraft Artillery Automatic-Weapons Battalion (Self-Propelled)
    2 Jul 44 - Departed New York Port of Embarkation
    12 July 44 - Arrived England
    28 Aug 44 - Arrived France (European Theater of Operations)
    10 Jun 46 - Deactivated in Germany.

The Battalion is credited with service in the following campaigns:
    6 Jun 44 - 24 Jul 44: Normandy
    25 Jul 44 - 14 Sep 44: Northern France
    15 Sep 44 - 21 Mar 45: Rhineland
    16 Dec 44 - 25 Jan 45: Ardennes-Alsace
    22 Mar 45 - 11 May 45: Central Europe

I'm unable to explain the apparent date discrepancy between arrival in France and credit for the Normandy campaign

3. T. A. Gardner

T. A. Gardner Genuine Chief

The 468th AAA Bn (SP) was attached to III Corps which served under both 3rd and 1st Armies at various points. As corps troops it may have seen service with any division serving within III Corps as well as service as Zone of Communications (ie rear area defense) service within III Corps area of responsibility.
    The unit itself would have been organized as a large 64 gun battalion of half-track mounted AA guns. Half would normally have been quad .50 machinegun M16 SPAA and half mixed 37mm and .50 M15 halftrack SPAA.

4. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

would these units have been assigned at divisional or army level?

Fair amount of firepower in all those m16 and m15s...

5. mikepadrick

mikepadrick recruit

Thanks so much for your responses it will help tremendously.

6. mikepadrick

mikepadrick recruit

Today, June 24, 2004 at app. 5:30, my grandfather passed away. He served our country well. He was the greatest man I have ever known. I will miss him horribly. Please take a moment to think about him and pray for him. For if it weren't for him and other men and women just like him, this country might not be the same.

468th AAA Auto Wpns BN Bat A, soldier you have now completed your final mission.... I love you

7. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

My thoughts are with you.

RED

8. Stevin

Stevin Ace

So sorry to hear this, Mike. Our thoughts are with you too. I wish you strength the coming weeks.

9. donlc1954

donlc1954 New Member

My father was with the 468th and I think they arrived in Glasgow Scotland instead of England. They went from Scotland down to England. Thanks Don

10. donlc1954

donlc1954 New Member

Hi Mike, my father was also with the 468th. Not sure if you are aware of it but there is a book that some of the men put together about their travels through Europe. It’s very detailed. Don