Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

4th KSLI Training before and experiences during Normandy campaign

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by oldschoolboy, Apr 2, 2004.

1. oldschoolboy

oldschoolboy Member

Hello guys,

Bit out of the blue but... I am researching the training for and experiences of the 4th KSLI leading up to and during Normandy campaign for a dissertation.

I've just returmed from Normandy & visited Baron-Hill 112 Bourgebus ridge, Mont Pinccon Falaise etc. for 2nd time and also have contact with reg'tal museum. I would however be very interested if anyone is a 11th Armoured vet & has memories of 4th KSLI or anyone has any old training docs of info relating to their training in Britain & Ireland before 13 June arrival.

My Dad was 4KSLI (TA) from '37 to about '40 when he returned to reserved occupation at Rolls Royce (sentenel engines - not staff cars!!). He passed away last Sept 1st and so I thought what a good topic to research in his memory. Any help will be acknowledged in my work and can also discuss my last 2 trips to Normandy (through thick Calvados haze).
    Many thanks in anticipation.

2. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

OSB,
    Can't remember anything for the KSLI off the top of my head, but there were several areas in Britain which featured life-size replicas of German defences and were used for D-Day training.
    One which springs to mind is Sheriffmuir in Perthshire, which features an Atlantic Wall, "German" bunkers, trench systems, a "shore" line and the remains of mock-up landing craft.This is in the Defence of Britain database, if you want a bit more info. I know there was also one in Wales (Pembrokeshire?) and possibly one in the Home Counties too.
    No-one's too sure if these resemble actual French coastal defences assaulted, but I think 3rd Infantry Div. constructed something similiar near Moffat in the borders, and these WERE real objectives on D-Day. I think they were code-named "Hillman" and "Morris".
    These were all concrete constructions, although a wood and canvas one was reportedly built near Muthil in Perthshire.
    I'll have a proper look for you in a while, and see what I can turn up.

Regards,
    Gordon

3. oldschoolboy

oldschoolboy Member

Thanks,

I fairly sure I know where they trained, 18months in Newcastle, N. Ireland, back to South east in Nov '41 (Tilbury Wateringbury and east grinstead) they went up to stanford in the east and then Hornsea for 10 months folowed by Aldershot in April '44 departing from Newhaven on 13th June.

I'm really interested in what they got up to with regard to any armoured/infantry training as they were part of 159 inf Brigade/ 11th Armoured Div. I am trying to show that the training they had was/was not useful in their role as lorried infantry working with armoured regiments of 11th armoured div.

I have copies of a 1938 infantry section leaders manual and a copy of the battalion 'trilogy' by Maj. Ned Thornburn which covers normandy quite well but not so much on any detail.

Cheers

4. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

OSB,

Couldn't find as much info as I hoped. Have you seen the following books?

The History of the 4th Battalion KSLI (TA) 1745-1955-Lieut.-Com. PK Kemp.
    (Shewsbury. Wilding & Son Ltd 1955)

Historical Records of the 4th Battalion KSLI (ta)-G. Archer Parfitt 1959

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Regards,

Gordon

5. oldschoolboy

oldschoolboy Member

Thanks,

Neither ring a bell and I will look at both.

Many thanks

6. TheRedBaron

TheRedBaron Ace

PING...

PONG...

7. M Campbell

M Campbell recruit

I was just passing time on the internet looking at KSLI and saw this forum. My father in law Bill Clarke was a sergeant with KSLI on D Day and indeed through the war finishing up in the Middle East, previously he was at Dunkirk with the Skins (Royal Enniskillens) and his time between Dunkirk and D Day was spent variously in England (including Coventry at the time of the blitz) some training in Scotland and some visits to his home in Londonderry. As he had the "experience" of Dunkirk he was an instructor for a period before D Day. Years ago I used to talk with him from time to time about his experiences including D Day itself, Caen, Falaise, but as he has become older and after he had a mild stroke I feel reluctance to raise the subject of the war - even though I feel it is more important than ever that the experiences of the old soldiers is remembered-it is humbling for the rest of us. Some 20 years ago one of his nephews made approx 6 hours of video of Bill recalling his experiences from the time he joined up and I have a copy I can refer to (and which some day I will transcribe). My point -I'd be happy to ask him for information but I'm not all that knowledgable about the KSLI - e.g. the Q relates to 4th KSLI, so possibly he may have been with some other part of it? Do you want to list some specific questions I can put to him? Or is this post too late given the original enquirey dates from 2004....?
    Mal

8. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

Heavens no! Post any and everything you can about Mr Clarke.

I don't know enough about the KSLI (I'm a septic) but there are plenty of Limeys here that will be able to swamp you for imformation.

Transcribe anything you wish to, we eat that kind of stuff up. The nephew is commended by me for taking the time to record your father-in-law's experiences.

Also, extend to him our deepest thanks for giving of his time during those terrible years.

9. Owen

Owen O

Mal, Which Bn of the Skins was he in, 1940?
    2nd Bn in 5th Div?
    If so I'd like to here what stories he has to tell.
    I'm rather interested in the 1940 campaign, 5th Div in particular as 2nd Bn Wiltshires were in that Div, in the same Brigade , 13th Bde.

10. Jaeger

Jaeger Ace

I've got a book or two about the Black Bull.

Sverre 'Jimmy' Bratland served as a Platoon leader in the 4th KSLI during the campaign. He won medals in Holland, and ended up as commander of Southern Norway after the war. Sadly he published no memoirs, and I have been searching high and low to get a hold on some of his exellent essays. They can be found at our Staff school.

11. M Campbell

M Campbell recruit

..... what have I started..... I will have to get on to this and start transcribing the video recordings, please be patient meantime and I'll try to start posting info.
    M

12. Devereux Biddlecombe

Devereux Biddlecombe New Member

My Dad was a CSM with the 4 KSLI. Sgt Major Henry Biddlecombe. He was severely wounded at Falaise. I have many photographs of the regiment and also of the KSLI training in and around Shropshire

Cheshire cheese likes this.