Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

50 shades of field grey

Discussion in 'Post War 1945-1955' started by GRW, May 15, 2013.

1. GRW

GRW Pillboxologist WW2|ORG Editor

Sorry, couldn't resist it!

"A passionate wartime affair between a surgeon and a young nurse has been revealed, after their daughter found 300 secret love letters hidden in a chest of drawers.
    And some of the letters - which talk openly about spanking and new knickers - could be straight out of racy modern novels such a EL James' Fifty Shades Of Grey.
    Dashing Swansea-born doctor Brian Thomas met nurse Katie Walker during World War II, when the pair were posted in Graz, Austria, and fell in love instantly. They vowed to write to each other every day when they were parted.

More than 60 years later, 300 love letters written at the beginning of their courtship were found in Katie's bottom drawer by their daughter Loraine Fergusson, 61, after her mother died at the age of 88.
    Loraine waited three years before making their intimate letters public on a website dedicated to her parents' enduring love.
    [SIZE=1.2em]Loraine, 61, said: 'The letters are a touching correspondence between two people who are clearly in love.[/SIZE]
    'But they also give an extraordinary window into life at the end of the war as men and women put their lives back together and strove to fulfil the dreams they had of a happy future.'
    But things could have turned out very differently for the couple (and for Loraine) if it hadn't been for Brian's first wife meeting someone else while he was away at war..."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2324820/Fifty-Shades-Of-WWII-Grey-Racy-wartime-affair-Brian-Thomas-Swansea-surgeon-nurse-Katie-Walker-Hereford.html#ixzz2TMlDhGW6

theblackalchemist likes this.
  2. theblackalchemist

theblackalchemist Member

Gah, you beat me to it.

anyway, here is the direct link from the blog indicated on DM's website. I wonder if we can convince the author to give us permissions to host it seperately on this server, if her blogpost gets taken down (as so frequently happens) ?

http://withlovefromgraz.blogspot.co.uk/

TBA

3. gtblackwell

gtblackwell Member Emeritus

It is interesting that many want their war movies and books free of love, leave our blood and guts pure !, yet wartime intensifies human emotions not only in the field but also between individuals because of danger, separation, deprivation, of family and loved ones. Now I do not like gratuitous love and sex just thrown in and especially not when the characters were real people but war seems to encompass and amplify life in all it's aspects..

This post, and the letters, is poignant and meaningful and I applaud a daughter with the insight and courage to release it. That being said I truly enjoyed "Band of Brothers and it's depiction of camaraderie and though I normally do not like censorship but would quickly do so for "Pearl Harbor" , well just for being a terrible movie !!! LOL

Gordan, thank you for this rare post.

4. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Ahhh...new knickers...as I have said to poppy on many occasions...new knickers mean...new man...Well thats what I'm told..so there you have it...I believe every word of the good doctor to be true... War is indeed hell.

5. gtblackwell

urgh, were you, by chance, ever a writer for Monty Python ?

6. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

They could not afford me mate...I like my dressing room to be full of original zulu cow hides on all walls...

7. gtblackwell

I guess Booroola Merino hides were out of the question.....they should have sprung for the big bucks, make that big quid(s) !!