Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

57mm Projectile

Discussion in 'Personal Memorabilia' started by Austin Fontenot, May 8, 2019.

1. Austin Fontenot

Austin Fontenot New Member

I have a question about a 57mm projectile. I have one that I have sold on Ebay & now the buyer doesn't want to pay till I prove it isn't a live round. I got it at a local flea market, it was with some other stuff like a TM9-730 Manual for a 78MM Tank Gun T-41E1, from June 1957. You can tell by the rifling marks that this projectile has been fired. It has a solid pointed top & a hole, about 1/2" in diameter in the bottom. here is about a 1/2" recess then filled with dirt or something. I took it to the X Chief of Police here & he thought if it was an armed round, that it would have a screw cap on the end, for loading the munitions & setting the fuse. Can someone help me figure out if it could even be live after all these years? I figure some soldier wanted a souvenir or paperweight. Vntg WW1? ARTILLERY SHELL Military Projectile Bullet Copper 10mm | eBay Here is the listing with pics. Any info will be appreciated.

2. RichTO90

RichTO90 Well-Known Member

It appears to be a 57mm AP-T M70, which was a solid shot with tracer. The cavity is appropriate for the tracer composition, but is much too small for a fuze and HE fill.

3. KodiakBeer

KodiakBeer Member

I believe that is a six pound Hotchkiss shell as used on small British naval vessels (and probably other platforms). The 57mm AP-T M70 that Rich mentions above is a much longer, and more modern, and higher velocity bottlenecked shell. I'm not very educated on artillery projectiles, but this looks like the shell on the link below. Scroll down to the bottom to see the casing.

Britain 6-pdr / 8cwt [2.244"/40 (57 mm)] QF Marks I and II - NavWeaps