Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

58th AFA Battalion

Discussion in 'North Africa: Operation Torch to Surrender of Tuni' started by ShaneW, Feb 4, 2015.

1. ShaneW

ShaneW New Member

I am interested in learning as much as possible about the 58th Armored Field Artillery Battalion as this was my grandfather's unit from June 1940 until his injury on Normandy. So for this segment, I'd like to focus on Casablanca late 1942 to end of the the Tunisia campaign.

The 58th was a battalion of self-propelled 105 howitzers attached primarily to the 5th Field Artillery Group (along with the 62nd and 65th). I have found the following document that overviews the use of mobile artillery in WWII:

http://www.dtic.mil/docs/citations/ADA365229

Does anyone have any AARs for this era or can point me to them? I have only found AARs from Normandy to VE day thus far--unfortunate in that Granddad was already reassigned to the 81st Field Artillery Bn.

Can anyone recommend any reading material that may include details such as battalion organization, action, Officers, NCOs, etc.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

The Eisenhower Presidential Library US Army Unit Records collection has a file on the 58th AFA Bn, but it has apparently not been indexed. You could email them and ask if one of the archivists would provide you with a list of documents they have. The records they have will be limited, but its worth looking into.

You can also contact the NARA in College Park and ask for an index (or list) of the records they hold on the 58th AFA Bn. Once you know what they have, you can either order copies of the documents you want through the NARA, or hire a researcher to make the copies for you.