Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

608 Engineer Light Equipment Co./Cpt. James L. Anderson

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by Clementine, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Clementine

Clementine Member

Biak,

Sorry, I just saw this. Yes my father was a missileer. After the war he was home for two years and he and a friend decided to join back up. They were, ahem, a bit inebriated when they made this momentous decision, and Dad decided to join the Air Force. He was in for 20 years. He was one of the "Sentinels for Peace." He was at Vandenburg, but I don't know exactly when. He was at the US Airbase at Greenham Common in England until the late 50's and then he came back to the States and he was at Vandenburg, Fairchild and Bunker Hill (now Grissom). He was at Fairchild twice, and that is where we were when he left the service in 1966. I was born on Fairchild.

2. Clementine

Clementine Member

Just got this in the mail. It is a photo of some of the members of some of the men in my father's unit. Dad isn't in it - however, I am grateful to have it. But I'm a bit disappointed that there doesn't appear to be any unit patches? Am I wrong about this? All I see look like rank patches, and all I can see are T/5(?). Any experts see something I am missing?

The man second from left in the middle row is named Wallace Erali, 24, from Athol, MA. My father was with him when he was killed by a sniper in March 1945. This photo was taken somewhere in Germany.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

SKYLINEDRIVE likes this.
  3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

I doubt they wore any, since they were such a small unit. Probably all they might have worn was the Distinctive Unit Insignia on their Class-A or B dress uniforms.

4. Clementine

Clementine Member

That would explain it - but, dang it!

5. Clementine

Clementine Member

There were 118 men, I believe, in my father's company, that wasn't unusually small, was it? (The photo is just a few of the men.)

6. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

A company was usually thought of to be between roughly 100 to 250 men, depending on nationality, service type and year.

7. Clementine

Clementine Member

Another update on my search. My father was with a young man in his unit who killed by a sniper, his photo is in a previous post in this thread. Dad told me a few months ago that he really regrets that he didn't contact the young man's family.

A few weeks ago I spoke with one of the soldier's two remaining siblings and then a week ago Dad spoke with her. The young man's family never knew how he was killed, so my father was able to tell her how it happened and reassure her that her brother didn't suffer, he wasn't alone when he died, and that he has never been forgotten. This moment was priceless.

I was also able to connect with the nephew of another man in the unit, my father served with his uncle, Albert, but unfortunately Albert passed away a few years ago. But his nephew said he'd go through his things and share anything he might find. This is very hopeful!

36thID, Biak and TD-Tommy776 like this.
  8. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

This actually brought a tear to my eye. What a gift for them and for your father. Well done, Clementine!

9. Clementine

Clementine Member

Thank you, Tommy.

While I hope that I can find a complete record of the unit, if this is as much as I accomplish, for my dad and for Wallace's family, I am satisfied.

10. 36thID

36thID Member

Excellent thread, glad I found it because I missed it earlier.

11. Clementine

Clementine Member

This letter refers to my father's CO, J. Lee Anderson. The archivist at the company Cpt. Anderson worked for in 1942 found this in their files today. Kind of interesting. The attached is just a letter showing that apparently the company bought and sent him some Tank Boots.

View attachment 16368

Attached Files:

12. TD-Tommy776

I like how general manager wrote that they "have made no plans for another salesman in Lt. Anderson's territory during his absence, which we of course hope will not be for very long." Little did they know in December 1942 that it would be another 2 1/2 years before the War in the ETO would be over.

The Dehner Company is still in business. I'm guessing they don't carry "Tank Boots, Laced Style" in stock anymore. :)

13. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

As I am prone to making errors.....I made an error not following this thread over time and did not know how much it progressed....so I make it late to the thread but am elated to see everything that special Clementine has been able to do for and with her father and the veterans that re-united again! Thanks for the persistence! The information is a great addition.....it is amazing that there are so many stories that slowly get revealed even after a significant amount of time has passed.

14. Clementine

Clementine Member

Thanks, Victor. I know something like the letter doesn't seem like much, but I think that all of you on this thread know how hard some of this information is to come by and why it's so exciting to see it. That's why I share, because I know you guys understand.

And, Tommy, thanks for the link. I'll have to check with the company, because I'm thinking I need me some tank boots. And I'd be curious as to whether they replaced Cpt. Anderson after the time dragged on a bit more than thought, and longer than anyone hoped.

15. TD-Tommy776

I bet the Dehner Company might be interested in the "boot letter" as it is part of the history of their company, as well.

16. Clementine

Clementine Member

Great minds! I sent it in an email after I saw the link you sent!

17. TD-Tommy776

You always seem to be one step ahead of me, Clem. ;)

18. Clementine

Clementine Member

Contacted Golden Arrow Research and received morning reports for my father's unit, marking his progress from the time he was transferred into the 608th while at Camp Myles Standish on October 7, 1943 to his return to New York on the Waterbury Victory on November 26, 1945. I just thought this was a nice touch, my dad's unit was attached to the 635 Engr. Camo. Co. toward the end of the war and on my first foray onto the internet to look up that unit, I found an article in The Niagara Falls Gazette announcing the arrival of the Waterbury - and my dad - on its return home.

View attachment 16531

Attached Files:

TD-Tommy776 and Biak like this.
  19. Victor Gomez

Victor Gomez Ace

Having once been interested in News Reporting, I am so elated to see that old paper, Clementine they just don't have the knack for creating a page full of news today do they. I would hold up that page as an example for news writers if I were to have my way in news writing today. So much news on that page---compare it to any newspaper you see today. Clementine I enjoyed reading the other articles that were there as well.

20. TD-Tommy776

That's great, Clem. What an interesting find.