Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

650th Engr Topographical Bn

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by bjcross42, Aug 1, 2013.

1. bjcross42

bjcross42 New Member

My Great-Grandfather served in the Bismarck-Archipelago campaign in New Guinea. He was a member of the 650th Engr Topographical BN. I am looking on any information I can find on this group. Websites, books, stories, names, papers, etc. Literally anything would be incredibly helpful!

THANKS!!

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

3. Slipdigit

Slipdigit Good Ol' Boy Staff Member WW2|ORG Editor

This is all I can find at the present:

650th Engineer Top0graphical Battalion

Credited with the New Guinea Campaign - 1 Jan 45 - 1 May 45 General Order 20, Hqs, New Guinea Base Section, dated 5 July 45.

15 Nov 45 - 25 Nov 45 it was in Japan, where it got an Occupation Credit.

--Unit Citation and Campaign Participation Credit Register, US Army 1961

4. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Slipdigit likes this.
  5. TD-Tommy776

I missed the EPL records, Lou. Good catch. The 650th actually spills over into Box 667, too. There isn't a container list for those boxes, so we don't know what type of records are there. I sent an email to the archivists at EPL to see if it is possible to get one for those containers.

6. Natman

Natman Member

7. TD-Tommy776

That is a good deal, considering the page count & the fact that it is for a relatively small sized unit. I would recommend picking it up, bjcross42. That's going to be about as good a resource as you will find.

8. TD-Tommy776

I have received a response from the archivist at EPL. He provided me with a summary of the type of documents contained in Boxes 666 & 667:

The thing to keep in mind is that the Army Unit Records collection at EPL are not intended to be collection of complete unit records. They are considered to be an incomplete duplicate set that were sent to EPL in the 1960s. The National Archives II in College Park, MD is the location with the most complete collection. Having said that, I know from personal experience that there are some unique items at EPL despite its classification as "an incomplete duplicate set".

Copies of the box contents can be obtained for $.80 per page. An alternative would be visiting EPL and doing the copying yourself. If you live on one of the coasts, that probably won't work. It's not a bad drive if you are anywhere in the midwest, though. ;)

LRusso216 likes this.
  9. LRusso216

Wow. That's a lot of pages. The cost might be prohibitive, and sitting there copying them himself might be boring. I would be more willing to buy the book first if I were him. I'm glad you heard from the archivist.

10. TD-Tommy776

Yes, the Archivist estimated well over $300 to copy both boxes. On the other hand, driving there also has its costs. When I went there, I used a digital camera (no flash allowed!) and only took photos of documents I wanted. I actually had a great time, which probably explains why I'm single. :eyebrows:

11. Bobby Hall

Bobby Hall New Member

My grandfather was in that batallion. I have a lot of old photos of people while in training and in New Guinea. If you want,message me and I will send you copies if you would like.

bfj35thand650th likes this.
  12. LRusso216

Are your pictures labeled with names? It would be nice if you would scan them and post them here.

13. bfj35thand650th

bfj35thand650th New Member

Bobby, I have some photos from New Guinea as well. My grandfather was in the 650th Engineers after being transferred in from the 35th after he served in Alaska. Learned at Camp White in Oregon, then shipped out in 1944. I would love to exchange photos.

14. Martyn Perry

Martyn Perry New Member

Hi there, I’m also after the same information on the 680th engineering company for the same reason.
    Couple of queries, does the recommended book in this thread on the 650th have any references to the 680th Topo is anyone aware? And any other leads, or shared info, photos would be greatly appreciated