Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

6th Signal Center Liaison Team

Discussion in 'Military Service Records & Genealogical Research' started by SimeeB, Feb 18, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SimeeB

SimeeB recruit

I am looking for any and all information on the unit that my grandfather served with: "6th Signal Center Liaison team."

I have his service records which state that he was a T/Sgt Radio Oper Fix Sta 777.

Battles participated were: Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland, and Central Europe.

The summary of military Occupation reads as follows:

Supervised twenty men operating a 20 - circuit radio station overseas. Familiar with complete operation of SCR 99 Type radio and SCR 193 type radio, familiar with and supervised maintenance and operation, kept records of all traffic, capable of sending and receiving 40 WPM by teletype indefinitely.

I would like to know what his units role was in Europe during World War II.

There is very little about his unit online.

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Here is a brief description of what the Liaison unit did.

During these operations, First Army staff officers were in constant touch with all activities by high-power radio stations capable of transmitting and receiving messages over distances of more than 100 miles. Stations were mounted on jeeps and operated by the 17th Sig. Bn. As American lines advanced, liaison officers went forward to maintain a running description of the fighting. Messages were encoded by radio operators and transmitted to CPs.

For more on the whole Signal Corps in Europe, check this site:
    Lone Sentry: Service: Story of the Signal Corps -- WWII G.I. Stories Booklet

3. urqh

urqh Tea drinking surrender monkey

Sounds like a teleprinter operator, mobile variety.

4. bwood62

bwood62 recruit

My father, Sgt. Charles W. Beem was in the 6th Signal Corp during WWII. I have a booklet written by one of the members that has photos and a history of their role in the war. Please let me know if you are interested and we can discuss it. It is a very interesting story. Their group hit the beaches in Normandy, went through St. Lo, the Fralaise Gap, liberated Paris, through the Battle of the Bulge, across the Ramagden Bridge and into Germany to liberate the concentration camps. A very harrowing experience. Barb

5. gfdsurvey

gfdsurvey recruit

My father was also with the 6th Signal Center Liaison Team as a Wire Liaison Chief. His name was Sgt Ernest DuBois. I found a History and Roster booklet Jan. 16, 2011 and can say that it was very surprising like finding a needle in the haystack. It has been great to know what my father was involved in, since he did not offer any information while he was alive. It appears his knowledge of the french language was very useful. It anyone has pictures aside from the ones in this booklet please let me know. I have recently contacted the family of James Dowd who was on the same team and I am waiting to hear from his son.

6. gfdsurvey

gfdsurvey recruit

Barb:

I have looked at the booklet you refer to and have found that your father and my father were on the Empire-Mace which landed at Omaha Beach June 9th. I have found a gentleman on this 21 man team who is still alive. We have spoken on the phone and we email each other. I had found a picture of him and my father together and was able to track him down. Greg

7. SimeeB

SimeeB recruit

Greg,

My grandfather is Charles Beem (Barbra is my aunt). I would love to speak/e-mail with someone who knows something about his service. Could you send me a private message so that I could get some contact info? I have a ton of questions....

Thanks!

-Jon

8. repolk

repolk recruit

9. gfdsurvey

gfdsurvey recruit

Jon:

Send me your email address and I will send you the "Booklet" mentioned.
    gfdsurvey@aol.com

Greg

10. lilim44

lilim44 recruit

My Dad was in 6th Signal Corps, most likely in Normandy during July 4th Battle of the Island. Then Lt. John Raikos, 329th HQ Co. Just found his khaki's w/#6 in blue on left sleeve. He was also in Normandy, DDay+ 12 (Jun. 18th); friends w/Sam Magill, when he captured 20k Germans; St. Malo; liberated Tours, France, and Paris; the Bulge; Neuss; Remagden Bridge; and last U.S. Commander to leave Elbe River; then into Germany (as above) to liberate concentration camps. Best part of his tour, trip to French Riviera late May '45, 10 days.

Listed in Col. Crabill's book, 'The Ragtag Circus', as taking group of men with him each day to run the communication wire - lucky to return each day, as Crabill said: 'the shell with his name on it had not been launched'..

Have a Creative Writing Paper from 1946, telling about Normandy, if interested. My email: ldehenaz "at" gmail "dot" com.

Appreciate any info on more details. Edwin Holt, Capt. Bagley, Sam Magill, Col. Crabill, Dan Gust - among names in 'War Buddies' Album.

Lili (Raikos) Dehen

11. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Lili, I edited your email address to make it less spam-friendly. You'll get less junk email that way. :)

Welcome to the forum. Please feel free to share more about your father's service here on the forum.

12. urqh

The Stourport on Severn location is jusr around the corner from me. I have been delving into the US occupation of Cheltenham area for some time now. This whole area was basically part of the US for a while before the invasion.
    The movements of this unit fit in nicely with the movement of rest of forces in the area pre Normandy invasion.

HQ sigs for the US forces in UK was established in Cheltenham and this unit would have been at some stage subserviant to that upper HQ I believe. This area is currently still important to the uk for both its tactical and int comms to this day. I am trying to find out the US sigs unit that may have been set up at Boddington nearby if anyone has any links to this...They seem to have been a fixed site working with teleprinters and radio too... How many of these units existed? Anyone have any info please?

13. Biak

Biak Boy from Illinois Staff Member

Here are a couple of links that may help ya' find some info'. I made a cursory scan through but one pdf was 739 pages and I thought I'd give you guys the privilege of seeing what is in there. The second link should be the pdf and down about the 80th page is a listing of a few signal sqd. areas of op's with names urhg will recognize. Didn't find one specifically on Boddington but again, I got bored. (not actually 'bored' but my attention span just gave out) ADD? :)

Normandy - The Technical Services : Signal Corps

The Normandy Invasion: The Technical Services in OVERLORD

14. SimeeB

SimeeB recruit

15. urqh

Extremely interesting in its own right...Good find.

16. bwood62

bwood62 recruit

Hello Greg, I am Jon's aunt Barbara and I just found this thread again and am hoping, like Jon, to reach someone who served with my father. He would have been 92 on April 10th of this year so I am sure finding his colleagues will be difficult. I will try emailing you at the address above also but please contact me if you have a way to reach someone from his unit. I would be so grateful.
    barb bwood62 "at" msn "dot" com

17. bwood62

bwood62 recruit

This was such a great find Jon! I purchase it and read it. Thanks, Barb

18. bwood62

bwood62 recruit

I have collected many websites and stories over the years and also wrote up a couple my dad did tell...which were few. I'll dig them up and send them to anyone who is interested.
    barb

19. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Barb, if you would like to share your dad's stories, we do have a section of the Forum for that purpose: What Granddad Did in the War. Please free to put your dad's stories there.

I would also encourage you to submit a memorial post in the section: Roll of Honor & Memories. It would be our privilege to have him added as one of our honorees.

20. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I agree with Tommy. Please consider posting whatever you have. We would be honored to read it.