Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

70 years ago today - Operation TIDAL WAVE

Discussion in 'Air War in the Mediterrean' started by mcoffee, Aug 1, 2013.

1. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

While the value of the mission may be questioned, the valor of the participants is beyond question. Five Medals of Honor (3 posthumously) were awarded for the mission along with numerous Distiguished Service Crosses, and Silver Stars. 30% of the men who took off were either killed, missing, captured or interned.

Surviving crew men are holding a 70th year reunion at the National Museum of the Air Force.
    http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20130730/NEWS/307300006/Vets-daring-WWII-raid-holding-70th-reunion

Kai-Petri and Sandwichery like this.
  2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

I saw a news article from the AP on that topic. You beat me to posting it, but thanks for it. There was a book on the Ploesti raid that highlights all the things that were poorly planned or executed. I can't remember the name of the book, and I'm too lazy to look for it now. In any case, these men deserve recognitionm

3. merdiolu

merdiolu Member

One of the bombers participated this raid crash landed on Aegean shore of Turkey and its crew was rescued by Turkish fishermen. The wreck of the bomber is displayed in Rahmi Koc museum in Istanbul.

4. mcoffee

mcoffee Son-of-a-Gun(ner)

I believe that aircraft was "Hadley's Harem" of the 98th Bomb Group.