Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

79th fighter group over tunisia,Sicily and Italy 85th Flying Skulls

Discussion in 'North Africa and the Mediterranean' started by Jkaartt, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

I am new to this forum and hoping to connect with anyone that has knowledge or information to help me fill in the blanks of my fathers experience . I have very limited information. Info found in Woerpels The 79th Fighter Group ,on page 142,(photo of him and other Flying Skulls) and age 152 paragraph 3 a brief description of his cooperation with the Falcons against the Luftwaffe in the air. Also his 85th photo in The Falcon. He was a Capt. and flew the p47'a 109 straffing missions , Italy, N. Africa, Corsica, & France. His name was Richard William Long. He died in 1963. He returned to the states at Marana in Tuscon, don't know the date, probably 1944?
    The only military record I have is a one sheet page with lists of his training camps, his medals, etc.
    I know there was a fire in 73 where the original records were, but since i am not sure of his discharge date, don't know if there is more info about him then what I have.
    I hope to hear from anyone that might enlighten me. :D

2. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

3. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

Hey thanks.
    I am now scanning the record I have for him. Not sure how to get it on this post or whatever??
    JK

4. LRusso216

5. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

Thanks so much. I will begin working on my requesting records and also fixing my scanning issues
    JK

6. LRusso216

Actually, your account has been edited so that you can post pictures immediately. Looking forward to what you have.

7. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

have not figured out the scanning issue, but tomorrow I am off, so will get that accomplished . i did send off for my dads military records
    JK

8. LRusso216

Looking forward to it.

9. Jkaartt

Jkaartt Member

well, I am 2 years later replying to your post.

I need to start over in attempting to post photos, etc. I did not get info on my dad, his records were in that fire in St Louis. But I have some info, I posted it on another post earlier tonight.
    I will be in St. Louis next year and want to visit the place where the remaining military records are, if I am allowed in.
    JK