Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

7th AAA AW Attached to the 77th Infantry Division

Discussion in 'Land Warfare in the Pacific' started by tparamore, Aug 12, 2010.

1. tparamore

tparamore Member

I am looking for anyone in the 7th AAA that was attached to the 77th Infantry Division. My dad was a Corporal in this unit (Battery D, I believe). They saw action in Guam, Leyte, Zamami Shima, and Ie Shima). I have a few documents and pictures that he had and am willing to share these with others.

Thanks.

2. chibobber

chibobber Member

Just found your post. My ex father-in-law was in th 7th AAA AW BN.My daughter just found his items.
    If your still around post or PM me.
    Bob

3. tparamore

tparamore Member

Chibobber,
    I still check back occasionaaly to see what's happenning on the site. I will check back more often now. What was your father-in-laws name and rank? Do you have any information, documentation or pictures of him?

Tim

4. chibobber

chibobber Member

Tim,He never spoke of it.All I have to go on is his discharge papers.

Harold H.Christen ASN 36 635 040
    DOB/ 21 OCT 22
    Enlisted/20 Jan 43 Seperated/19 Jan 46
    From Cicero,IL
    MOS/Observer & Tracker 578
    Battles/Southern Philippines,Ryukyus
    Decorations and Awards;GCM,American Theater,Asiatic Pacific theater W/2 bronze battle stars,Philipines Liberation W/2 battle stars,Bronze arrow head,3 overseas bars,1 service strip.
    I understand the unit also received the Phillipine Presidential unit citation.
    No Photos yet from daughter.He was a PFC.
    I did find a unit history on line.
    He was a big guy for the time 5'10,212lbs German decent,Blonde hair,blue eyes.Very personable and outgoing.

I would really like to know what his MOS means and what he did.
    Hope to hear back from you.,
    Bob

5. chibobber

chibobber Member

Tim,Please check PM inbox
    thanks Bob

6. lwd

lwd Ace

Something like Military occupation specialty.

7. chibobber

chibobber Member

lwd,I know what MOS means.I was trying to get some insite into what a "Tracker,Observer"did.I'm not up speed on artillary job descriptions.Maybe someone can provide a list of WW2 MOS's with a description.

8. BishopTS

BishopTS Member

OBSERVATION STATION OPERATOR, COAST ARTILLERY (578)
    Instrument Observer Spotter
    Reader Tracker
    Recorder

Acts as a member of a team in a seacoast artillery observation station, performing such duties as instrument observing, tracking, spotting, reading, or recording.

Tracks moving targets through an azimuth instrument, stopping momentarily when the timing bell rings to allow the reader to read the azimuth. Reports data to plotting room. Locates with an azimuth instrument the splash of the shells as they
    hit the water and informs the spotting board operator by telephone of the deviation from the target.

When fire control is accomplished by gun data computers or directors, performs vertical or horizontal tracking by means of telescopes on machine in the same manner as tracking with azimuth instrument or turns hand wheels matching pointers on
    dials to insure that smooth output of data is transmitted to gun.

OBSERVATION STATION OPERATOR, COAST ARTILLERY (578)

9. chibobber

chibobber Member

BishopTS,
    Exactly what I was looking for!
    Thank you.Bob

10. tparamore

tparamore Member

Bob,
    My dad was in the 7th AAA AW, Company D. Here are some websites that I have found that mention the 7th AAA:
    AAR 77th Infantry Division, Ormoc Corridor, Leyte Island, Dec 1944 to Feb 1945 It says European Center, but it talks about the 77th Infantry in the Pacific.
    Antiaircraft Command - 7th AAA AW Bn History Anti-aircraft Unit Histories
    GUAM: Operations of the 77th Division Article about 77th Infantry Division in Guam
    Guide to the Records of the 7th Regiment 1943, 1944-45, how the 7th AAA AW was formed
    HyperWar: USMC Monograph--The Recapture of Guam History of the 3rd Marines and 77th Infantry and the fight for Guam
    Okinawa: Tha Last Battle Okinawa - The Last Battle - These dates can be tied to the dates from the 7th AAA AW history (antiaircraft.org) to see their involvement

I hope this will help - at the least it is very interesting reading. I sure wish

Tim

11. j mcclintock junior

j mcclintock junior recruit

Tim thankyou sooo much My the above sites were a gold mine for my dad. He served in the 77th 7th AAA Battalion D. In fact he is in the picture you provided. the material you provided the history was written by His LtCol in fact this man gave my dad his nickname JUNIOR.
    It has been well over 3 years we have been looking in earnest for anyone he served with. After many phone call if we do find some one we learn they are now deceased My dad is 89 and time growing short We know the odds are getting slim considering he was just 16 and for the most part younger than the other men. The history he is now reading brought tears to his eyes and hope to his journey thank you for giving him this. Also with the list of names it provides we now stand a chance we may find someone. His name is John L. McClintock they called him JUNIOR
    If any of the family members of deceased men want to talk to him I know he would be more than happy to tell them all about it.
    Karen Pals Daughter

12. tparamore

tparamore Member

Karen,
    If you will send me your contact information I will e-mail you some of my dad's photos. I also have had contact with another person whose uncle was in the unit.

Tim