Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

7th infantry -- army corps of engineer

Discussion in 'What Granddad did in the War' started by kwuetig, Mar 9, 2016.

1. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

I am trying to find out information about my grandfather that served in WW2 in the army from 1943-1945. I have very little information on him and can not find any information on him through archives.com and ancestory.com. I have a separation of service letter stating his rank and the enlistment dates and a few patches from him. He was a corporal in the US Army and was a army corps of engineer and was in the Pacific Theatre. I have a few unit patches but from what I think I have read they are conflicting. I have a 101st Airborne patch and a 7th infantry division patch from my grand father.

I am trying to build a shadow box to honor his tour of duty but I want to ensure I have accurate material listed in the box.

I would like to know if it is possible to have been in both the 101st and the 7th infantry throughout ww2?

Please any information regarding this would help. As a member of the armed forces now this means a lot to me and unfortunately cannot ask him because he passed away during basic training.

Thank you again in advance for all the help.

2. TD-Tommy776

TD-Tommy776 Man of Constant Sorrow

Welcome to the Forum, kwuetig, and thank you for your service and that of your grandfather.

Assuming he only served in the PTO, it is unlikely that he served in the 101st Airborne. It's possible he acquired it during his service or after. The 7th Division patch would make more sense. If he served as an engineer in the 7th Division, he probably would have been in the 13th Engineer Combat Battalion. The 13th ECB was attached to the 7th Division in the PTO during WWII.

Have you tried requesting his OMPF from the NARA? It's probably best if the request is made by someone the Army considers "Next of Kin". If you have already gone that route, your best bet would be to track down his service through Morning Reports which are held at the NARA in St. Louis. That would involve either hiring a researcher, or plan a trip to St. Louis. My suggestion would be the former, but that can be expensive.

You can also try requesting replacement medals. Like the OMPF request, it would be best submitted by his NOK.

kwuetig likes this.
  3. LRusso216

LRusso216 Graybeard Staff Member

Welcome to the forum. Tommy has given you some good advice. If you can give us his name and post a picture of his separation papers, we might be able to help more.

4. YugoslavPartisan

YugoslavPartisan Drug

Welcome!

5. kwuetig

kwuetig New Member

Thank you so much for the help so far. I did submit a form to St. Louis about 3 weeks ago just trying to see what information I can find on my own encase they do not have anything. I will post the only document I have on my grandfather

Attached Files: