Welcome to the WWII Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the community.

82 Squadron RAF- The Burma Years

Discussion in 'Information Requests' started by Howard Sandall, May 11, 2022.

1. Howard Sandall

Howard Sandall New Member

Hi,

I am looking for any information on 82 Squadron (RAF) during the years they were in Burma. My uncle was a navigator flying the Mossie on the squadron, about 20 years ago plus I started to compile information with the intention of writing a book on my uncle's exploits. I had noticed that the Squadron's history during this period is stretchy.

I got side tracked and wrote a book on the history of a Squadron (622) flying Lancasters over Europe eventually become the WWII historian for the squadron. Sorry I digress.

Although I have a good start material wise for the Mossie period, I am particularly looking for any information when they flew the Vultee Vengeance dive bomber. I am really struggling here to find enough research material or family documents to cover this period. I notice there have been previous posts on 82 Sqdn a few years back which I have joined but had no response.

Many thanks.

2. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Good day, can you give me a bit more info……Name etc, or dates you’re interested in. A clue on what who have right now (so I’m not repeating the research you may already have done)……just anything so I can try to help??

EDIT: found this:

Although the squadron arrived at Karachi in May, it was August before any aircraft were received in the form of Vengence dive-bombers. These were initially used in the coastal patrol role until June 1943, when it began bombing raids against the Japanese in Burma

So this is the time period your looking for correct, Aug 1942 to July 44 (when they started to recieve the Mosquito’s??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2022
  3. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Have you looked at the Squadrons Operational Record Books on line…….I just checked them out and they give you all the information on the Vengeance period in their records. Here’s a direct link to the files, all the files can be download for FREE. I just download Aug 1943 (both the Summary of Events and Record of Events files)

Browse records of other archives | The National Archives

4. Howard Sandall

Hi,
    Thank you for your response, I have looked through the usual sources such as ORBs etc. I am writing a book on 82 sqdn and their time in Burma when they were flying the Vengeance and Mosquito. I have quite a lot of material on the Mosquito period after starting this project over 20 years ago when I was in touch with veterans, although, anything additional would be welcome. In summary, I am looking for primary sources' such as air and ground crew accounts/photos/logbooks, in particular when they were flying the Vengeance. Full source credit will be applied.

Thanks again for your response!

5. Jondy

Jondy New Member

Hello Howard from New Zealand. I have log books, photos, documents and other material to two 82 Squadron Vengeance/Mosquito pilots. They are both New Zealanders, They are NZ402909 Squadron Leader Ira Allison Sutherland DFC MiD 139 ops on Blenheims over Europe (82/110 Sqns) and Vengeance/Mosquitos with 82 Squadron Burma. Sutherland's log book includes many detailed notes re ops and casualties. The other is NZ414253 F/O George Thomas Couttie RNZAF who flew 107 ops with 82 Sqn. So I may be able to help you. What is it you are specifically looking for? Cheers. John.

6. Temujin

Temujin Active Member

Jondy, I’ve sent a PM to Howard to let him know that you have information that may help him. Hopefully he gets back to you quickly

Cheers

7. Howard Sandall

Hi John, What a great surprise I was only looking on the web yesterday for information on Ira Sutherland. I think I have explained my objective with the book and my appeal via this forum for information on the Vengeance era which appears to be hard to come by. I have been able to write the core details from historical records but it is the personal stories that make a book more interesting and informative. To cut a long story short, I am looking to include personal recollections of aircrew who flew the Vengeance to including postings, logbook entries and photos if they exist? I will of course copyright credit to you. I hope you can help, if you want to contact me by email I can explain my intentions a little more and give you some background to my enthusiasm: howardsandall622@btinternet.com